Embarrassed and sadened. What actually happened?

Yes it was definitely cannibalism, chickens will eat each other if they are hungry enough or lack of nutrients in the environment

Not to make you upset but its very likely your dead hen died a very slow and painful death, chickens don't have mercy for each other when it comes to eating eachother, and eating eachother alive is no exception
I feel terrible! She was most likely the bottom of the crew. She always hung back and waited until the others had first dibs at the food. Poor girl. I feel like a murderer! Guaranteed that I won't allow it to happen again.

I’m thinking they probably ate her. They will do that if extremely hungry... there’s also if that one started to get sick..then the others would know and kill her before it spreads. I had this happen with a rooster, we found him by the coop with his head eaten off... we think it’s because he was coming down sick, but we couldn’t tell.​

Chicken wire is not predator proof. Do you have Weasels in your area? Usually they kill for sport and will kill a whole flock, but thats one predator that can squeeze right though chicken wire.
Rats can get through it as well, and will attack chickens if they're hungry enough. That could be a definite suspect.
We live in town, but I suppose it is still possible. However, I've had these hens since last March, so I'd wonder why predators are waiting until now (except for colder weather?) to get them. I haven't seen any signs of rats, but then again, who knows? They were fine up until this incident. I feel like a murderer. :(

Yes it was definitely cannibalism, chickens will eat each other if they are hungry enough or lack of nutrients in the environment

Not to make you upset but its very likely your dead hen died a very slow and painful death, chickens don't have mercy for each other when it comes to eating eachother, and eating eachother alive is no exception
I have to disagree, I don't believe that this was completely because of cannibalism.
I'd also like to add that this member is trying to learn, and putting in that her hen had a "slow and painful death" isn't helpful in this situation, and an unnecessary detail.

I’m thinking they probably ate her. They will do that if extremely hungry... there’s also if that one started to get sick..then the others would know and kill her before it spreads. I had this happen with a rooster, we found him by the coop with his head eaten off... we think it’s because he was coming down sick, but we couldn’t tell.​
This one had the legs and the butt completely gone.

We live in town, but I suppose it is still possible. However, I've had these hens since last March, so I'd wonder why predators are waiting until now (except for colder weather?) to get them. I haven't seen any signs of rats, but then again, who knows? They were fine up until this incident. I feel like a murderer. :(
Don’t blame yourself, even if they had food this could have happ. I had a rooster who may have been sick and I not notice it, but our hens killed him.

The rats wouldn't' strike until now because until now they had easy access to feed. Once the feed ran out, they got hungry. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Its so hard to loose them. Don't beat yourself up, all you can do is learn. :hugs:hugs

Odds are the birds didn't start eating until the hen was already dead, not that it's my h assurance, but it should be some.

Mine have gone without for a day before and maybe I end up with a hen deciding to sleep outside for a day or two do to birds getting hangry, but usually they're just hungry and stuff themselves the next day.

Back
Top Bottom