Embden goose egg white string?

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
My embden goose started laying 2 weeks ago. She laid 3 hard shell eggs then only soft shell after that. Maybe 3 or 4 soft eggs. She hasn’t laid an egg at all in 3 days and she seems to wanna sit around a lot more than she used to. I walked out to her today when she got up it looked like maybe a thin and when I say thin it looked like fishing line string from her vent into the grass. It looked to be consistency of egg white. I got her and held her pressed on her belly a little she didn’t act like anything really hurt just the usual lemme go kinda action. Set her down she walks fine flaps her wings but just seems kinda blah here lately. Any ideas anyone else seen this?
image.jpg

what do you feed your geese? does she have enough calcium ( as in something like crushed oyster shells in a bowl on the side) so she can take them as needed?
if she’s not getting enough calcium to eat, her body will draw the calcium out of her own bones to create shells, and she will be weak.
I would start her on liquid calcium gluconate right away, I’m not sure what the dosage is exactly but if your goose is around 10 or 12 pounds it’s probably around three ML given orally with a syringe (no needle on it) that is at least six or 12 ML size anything smaller and they suck it down their throat. I will look for the link on how to give medicine to waterfall and poultry. In the meantime, let’s tag. @Miss Lydia and @Goosebaby

She gets free choice oyster shell and 22% Tucker milling show flock feed. Plus she’s free range to eat grass and whatever else she finds.
Have you seen her eat any of her oyster shell? Young geese can sometimes be stubborn about it. Broken eggshells can trigger an instinctual response to eat them if they need the calcium, try offering her some chicken egg shells and see if she wants them.

Back
Top Bottom