Embryo deaths

TempletonPeck

Chirping
May 16, 2022
Hello! :frow
I've been incubating blue and buff Orpington eggs for 2.5 weeks now, and apart from 2 unfertilised ones all was going well. 2 days ago there was movement in many of them, although in my naive haste to incubate I hadn't realised the importance of settling shipped eggs to let the air sac coalesce before starting the process.
2 days later and I've had to dispose of 4. The embryos, if anything, had reduced in definition and the amount of shell they occupied, and movement had stopped. 4 are still showing signs of movement and have air sacs that aren't too bad - although one is along the vertical cross-section of the egg rather than a nice little puddle at the end, so I'm not overly hopeful for that one.
Anyway, I'm nervous that it's not just saddled air sacs that have killed my embryos. In the one I have photographed I can see what I think is a bacterial blood line. You can also see the embryo - it had developed nicely until all stopped.
I'd love to know your thoughts. I know chickens, but I'm new to incubating!

Attachments

• IMG_6222.jpg
    IMG_6222.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 24
Shipping can be extremely hard on hatching eggs. While some techniques may help damaged air cells regain a more optimal location, there is damage that simply can't be repaired. Embryos starting development and quitting is common in shipped eggs. :(

The egg in the photo is at roughly day 18, correct? If so, it doesn't look as developed as it should be at this point (lockdown) to me. The others that are on track developmentally should look nearly full and very dark, with visible veining. Is that how they look when you candled?

If your temps and humidity have been stable and correct, I'd blame the shipping stress as the primary culprit. I've been there, too, and I know how disappointing it is to have fertile eggs destroyed by the postal service. :barnie

Best of luck with your hatch!

Thank you - I think you are right. We have a couple of eggs which look full and healthy, and they will go into lockdown this weekend, so fingers crossed, but I think the others were just too damaged. Orpingtons are difficult to come by in the UK at the moment, so I think my next batch will involve a 6 hour round trip with the eggs being transported home on a cushion!

Back
Top Bottom