Emerency DIY incubator for abandoned eggs-will it work?

T'sbird

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2018
After two weeks of hatching eggs, no one is inspired to sit anymore, so I put this together. If you see some error, please let me know. Eggs are probably near hatching, IF still viable. We had three hens that went broody, and successfully hatched nine of 15 over about a ten day period. Eggs were abandoned, so we crated the broodiest with the eggs and one chick. Another hatched, one pipped, and one cracked, however the two egged chicks died (they were fully developed). Last hatched chick is now two days old, I think. Temp is still going up, last check it was 87, up from 78 (just put together 1/2 hour ago). Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated. Light is just a plain bulb, 40w I think. Plastic wrap does have holes in it.

Attachments

• DSCF1998.jpg
    DSCF1998.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 20
I think temp should be high 90's, not sure about humidity. The only thing I have that will measure humidity is too big to leave inside. I'd have to lift the plastic to set it in real quick, but won't that mess with the humidity? Any other options other than my floaty bowl?
Thank you!

Thank you. Honestly, I don't know how old they are. We apparently had three laying, maybe four, thus the two weeks of hatching. These all had the air areas last time we checked, but have since tried to leave them alone. Any ideas? 3-5 days? Less? Longer? My daughter was quite disappointed that we lost the other two, so she's really hoping these may hatch, and I'm certainly willing to give them the chance.

if you cant get temps up high enough i'd put that whole setup down into a larger container with a lid 'with' the light .. they can certainly be hatched that way ive done it .. just dont see how you can get temps up and stable with the light outside ..

Around the end of July... I made a diy walk in incubator using my garage, the heat from the top of my fridge, and Cali's hot weather. The 10 pekin eggs were placed in a large omem reptile container with holes already provided, for ventilation. I simply taped covered a few holes to contain the humidity. I used insulated styrofoam to raise the eggs, layer cut shaped the styrofoam to allow water to stay on the bottom, and provide humidity through out the container. I take them out once a day to mist and cool down, and rotate them about 3x a day. They all hatched, and having a walk in incubator with the garage, I was able to take them out for long periods, and let them hatch in my hands. Lots of sweat in the process, but it was all worth it 🦆🐣

Hope all goes well with your incubation :)

Back
Top Bottom