Emergencies help!!!

MattSiewrt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
Hello I have a barred rock hen that does not even lay eggs I can tell its sick a droopy wind coughing sneezing its sick I know it is, but the problem is I don't know what to do with it I can't let my other chickens get sick and I know it sound messed up to say but we were just gonna let it loose but I couldn't do that please help if its the only other option then I gotta do that :/

That sounds like a respiratory issue. Does she have any bubbling around her eyes? Does she smell bad? Unfortunately most respiratory illnesses are caused by bacteria that cannot ever be totally killed, so the birds carry and spread the illness for life. You would treat her with tetracycline or tylan, but she will continue to carry whatever she has and spread it to other chickens if she is around them. Then again, if she has it and has been or was living with the flock, chances are they were already exposed anyway :(

Now that you told me that she's gone and none of the other chickens have been acting funny tho I just noticed her sickness yesterday if it comes down to it ad they all get sick idk what ima do I guess they'd all have to go :/

And is there a way to get rid of this bacteria I shoulda know not to get this chicken all my others were do fine and I got a chick from this man down the road I shoulda never got it :/(

There's really no way to get rid of it besides culling the entire flock and waiting a period of time before getting more birds. Now you're just in a wait and see situation - maybe you'll be lucky and they won't have contracted it.

Back
Top Bottom