Emergency! 2 of my chickens were found dead this morning. What killed them?

Chickensss_25

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
So I went on vacation for thanksgiving break (i was gone for a week) and i left my chickens in charge with someone. I come back yesterday and check the chicken coop to make sure everyone was fine but since it was dark, I couldn’t see very well but I assumed everything was fine. Except for the part that everything was NOT fine! I wake up this morning ready to let my chickens roam free after a week of being held in the coop and to my surprise, I see the skeleton of my sisters crested polish chicken just laying there inside the coop! I was terrified! What could’ve killed it??? And also…. I look around the coop and i see one of my sisters silkie chickens was drowned in a bucket of water! I asked my neighbor what happened with the 2 dead chickens and he said he found the silkie drowned in the bucket of water and that he didn’t know about the other one. I guess it happened last night when the crested Polish chicken was found dead this morning. The thing is… nothing like this had ever happened because my coop is pretty safe. At least its safe from Hawks, Eagles, Big birds, Coyotes, bears, and stuff like that because half those animals aren’t found in my area either way. The only thing that could possibly fit in to my coop are rats. Now i know that rats probably have been in there because i can see the holes from outside of the coop, leading inside. But a racoon, possum, skunk, bigger animals like that, I doubt they fit. Anyways, i find it suspicious that my sisters silkie was found drowned in their water bowl when this had NEVER happened before. I think that maybe an animal inside the coop was chasing her around and that led to her jumping and falling in to the water bowl and not being able to escape since shes a silkie. And for the crested Polish chicken, all i found this morning was its skeleton! Like it didn’t even have a head either, there was just quite some feathers laying around, along with the body and wings. The body was all together though, the only thing missing was the head and all of the meat. So there was only the headless body of the skeleton, what kind of animal could have done that? My neighbor recently got a small kitten that she found in the street and that kitten is small enough to fit in to the coop. Im suspecting that maybe a rat came and bit the chicken, then later the kitten came, found it dead, and ate it. I really dont know. I’m strongly blaming it on the cat and rats because this morning, not long ago, i saw my neighbors kitten come over to my house through under the fence and i saw it walk directly towards my chicken coop! I think thats really odd so i dont know. What kind of animal do you guys think couldve done that? Just leave the headless skeleton laying around. There was absolutely no meat left and i dont think that my own chickens finished eating the polish crested chicken because a chicken died inside the coop once and none of my chickens ate her. So what do you guys think? Could it have been that a rat bit the chicken, left it dead, then the kitten came and ate the rest? Or the cat did all the damage herself? Please give me answers as soon as possible!

So I went on vacation for thanksgiving break (i was gone for a week) and i left my chickens in charge with someone. I come back yesterday and check the chicken coop to make sure everyone was fine but since it was dark, I couldn’t see very well but I assumed everything was fine. Except for the part that everything was NOT fine! I wake up this morning ready to let my chickens roam free after a week of being held in the coop and to my surprise, I see the skeleton of my sisters crested polish chicken just laying there inside the coop! I was terrified! What could’ve killed it??? And also…. I look around the coop and i see one of my sisters silkie chickens was drowned in a bucket of water! I asked my neighbor what happened with the 2 dead chickens and he said he found the silkie drowned in the bucket of water and that he didn’t know about the other one. I guess it happened last night when the crested Polish chicken was found dead this morning. The thing is… nothing like this had ever happened because my coop is pretty safe. At least its safe from Hawks, Eagles, Big birds, Coyotes, bears, and stuff like that because half those animals aren’t found in my area either way. The only thing that could possibly fit in to my coop are rats. Now i know that rats probably have been in there because i can see the holes from outside of the coop, leading inside. But a racoon, possum, skunk, bigger animals like that, I doubt they fit. Anyways, i find it suspicious that my sisters silkie was found drowned in their water bowl when this had NEVER happened before. I think that maybe an animal inside the coop was chasing her around and that led to her jumping and falling in to the water bowl and not being able to escape since shes a silkie. And for the crested Polish chicken, all i found this morning was its skeleton! Like it didn’t even have a head either, there was just quite some feathers laying around, along with the body and wings. The body was all together though, the only thing missing was the head and all of the meat. So there was only the headless body of the skeleton, what kind of animal could have done that? My neighbor recently got a small kitten that she found in the street and that kitten is small enough to fit in to the coop. Im suspecting that maybe a rat came and bit the chicken, then later the kitten came, found it dead, and ate it. I really dont know. I’m strongly blaming it on the cat and rats because this morning, not long ago, i saw my neighbors kitten come over to my house through under the fence and i saw it walk directly towards my chicken coop! I think thats really odd so i dont know. What kind of animal do you guys think couldve done that? Just leave the headless skeleton laying around. There was absolutely no meat left and i dont think that my own chickens finished eating the polish crested chicken because a chicken died inside the coop once and none of my chickens ate her. So what do you guys think? Could it have been that a rat bit the chicken, left it dead, then the kitten came and ate the rest? Or the cat did all the damage herself? Please give me answers as soon as possible!
As far as the chicken being a skeleton, my thought would be your other hens picked her bones clean after something killed her. Can we see some pictures of the coop?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom