Emergency again with bleeding hen!!!

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
So I need some help!!!!! I have 10 hens. I posted over a week ago about an incident, and it's become worse.... I had two aggressive Rhode Island Reds that were picking on two other RIR's to the point where hey had plucked there feathers out below their vents and drew blood. I separated the wounded ones into one large kennel in the garage and also separated out the aggressive hens into another kennel.... so the two wounded birds were healing up, I've been using Bantix antibacterial and antifungal spray and covering that with Blue Coat. Today I went out there and one of the wounded birds was bleeding like crazy and had a gaping, deep wound. I guess it had started to ooze and the other chicken went after it- I really don't know.
Sooooo..... I'm not sure what to do AT ALL!!! I don't know what to do with the wounded girls and I definitely don't know what to do with the aggressive girls. I've read that once they become that way (aggressive and canabalistic) that they won't change. Any advice or support would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Take care,
N

Take the bleeding one to a separate kennel or even a cardboard box to keep her calm and let her recuperate. If the other injured bird is looking a little better, I'd go ahead and put her in with the other (non-RIR) chickens. There might be a small pecking order squabble, but it should settle quickly since they are already acquainted. I'd let the aggressive hens be near the injured one (but still separated!!!) so they can get used to each other again, by call or sight at least. I'd wait until the injured hen looks better, and then add her back to the coop (maybe using the kennel inside the coop method to just be super safe), probably in the evening or at night. Once you feel that she is comfortable in the flock (sans the aggressive 2 RIRs), I'd introduce those 2 back in, probably in the morning so they are on the defensive rather than offensive. I'd also suggest hanging a lettuce or having some other entertainment in the coop so they might decide picking on the others isn't worth it. Just remember to breathe, it sounds like you've done everything right, and don't believe that your 2 aggressive RIRs are now condemned to be mean since they picked on another bird. With it being winter and all, are they cooped up that maybe it's just cabin fever and boredom, and then because of that they start to peck and harass? If the injured hen's wounds are having trouble closing (like a wound where the skin is peeled or slid back) I have used superglue to seal a chick's neck wound (was getting picked on back of head/neck, sealed it and she went back just fine a few weeks later). Best of luck to you!

Take the bleeding one to a separate kennel or even a cardboard box to keep her calm and let her recuperate. If the other injured bird is looking a little better, I'd go ahead and put her in with the other (non-RIR) chickens. There might be a small pecking order squabble, but it should settle quickly since they are already acquainted. I'd let the aggressive hens be near the injured one (but still separated!!!) so they can get used to each other again, by call or sight at least. I'd wait until the injured hen looks better, and then add her back to the coop (maybe using the kennel inside the coop method to just be super safe), probably in the evening or at night. Once you feel that she is comfortable in the flock (sans the aggressive 2 RIRs), I'd introduce those 2 back in, probably in the morning so they are on the defensive rather than offensive. I'd also suggest hanging a lettuce or having some other entertainment in the coop so they might decide picking on the others isn't worth it. Just remember to breathe, it sounds like you've done everything right, and don't believe that your 2 aggressive RIRs are now condemned to be mean since they picked on another bird. With it being winter and all, are they cooped up that maybe it's just cabin fever and boredom, and then because of that they start to peck and harass? If the injured hen's wounds are having trouble closing (like a wound where the skin is peeled or slid back) I have used superglue to seal a chick's neck wound (was getting picked on back of head/neck, sealed it and she went back just fine a few weeks later). Best of luck to you!

Awesome thanks for the advice!!!! I'll do my best!

Back
Top Bottom