Emergency!!! Amercauna hen losing balance! Help!

tnix

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2015
My 10 week old Amercauna hen suddenly can't walk without falling over. Food is kept dry, Water is clean. Her poop looks normal. All 5 other hens are fine. I don't now what is happening to her. Please help!

My 10 week old Amercauna hen suddenly can't walk without falling over. Food is kept dry, Water is clean. Her poop looks normal. All 5 other hens are fine. I don't now what is happening to her. Please help!
So many things can be wrong???? At 10 weeks if its a female its called a pullet, making sure it is 10 weeks and not 10 months?? Are they all on the ground? Does the pullet feel light in weight, average, heavy? Have you wormed them??

Definitely not 10 months. They are 10 weeks. I have not wormed them. I wasn't aware that was something I needed to do. I will definitely check into that. I've looked her all over . They are in the run or in the coop(the run is sand based). This is their 3rd week outside. She feels slightly lighter than the other 5 but not that noticeable.
She will walk around fine and then just stop, and lay down or fall over to one side. It just started happening out of the blue.

Definitely not 10 months. They are 10 weeks. I have not wormed them. I wasn't aware that was something I needed to do. I will definitely check into that. I've looked her all over . They are in the run or in the coop(the run is sand based). This is their 3rd week outside. She feels slightly lighter than the other 5 but not that noticeable.
She will walk around fine and then just stop, and lay down or fall over to one side. It just started happening out of the blue.
Might be many other things?? Maybe a Good Chicken Vet can answer those questions?? BUT if you were like me----I am not taking a $5 chicken for a $50 or $100 or $300 check-up if there is a problem as long as the rest of the flock is doing good.
I do worm mine by that age(at times I have 2 to 300 that I worm at one time)---always seems to help compared to when I did not worm at that age. If I feel its a single chicken problem, I do Doctor according to what I feel needs to be done.

I would look at dehydration or coccidiosis as possible causes. Get her to drink some water with electrolytes and vitamins, such as SaveAChick, and dip her beak as often as possible. Make sure that she is not being kept from food if she is meek or low in pecking order. If it is hot there, more waterers and feeders can be added. Coccidiosis can be common at that age, and symptoms include lethargy, weakness, refusal to eat, runny poops that may have blood, and standing hunched or puffed up. Corid from feed stores is the best treatment in the water for 5-7 days. Adding water to a small amount of feed in a slurry sometimes will get them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom