Emergency animal attack!! Help!! TW BLOOD

Lucaaa

Hatching
Jun 10, 2023
My white hen has been attacked by an animal and it’s left a small hole in her left wing. The bone seems to be showing but not by a lot. She has been slightly lethargic but will eat and walk around. I have cleaned, put ointment on, and dressed the wound so far (today being the second day). I don’t know what I should get for her to boost her energy but she keeps keeping her eyes shut and closing them. Her clucks are pretty quite versed how they usually are and the cut is white ish now with clear liquid oozing occasionally. She has gone out of shock so she isn’t panting anymore nor is she being overly stressed. Please help!! I can get more photos if needed!
1E294C0A-747F-4D24-95AF-09D3167F2E6F.jpeg
DCD8D949-CD18-4A2D-B116-1A9070974ACC.jpeg

Chickens are amazingly resilient. It's great news she is eating and walking. Give her time to rest and heal in a quiet and safe space. A dog crate works well. Keep the wound clean like you are already doing and make sure there are no other wounds. Is she drinking water? If so, you can offer her sugar water. Others should chime in shortly with anything I missed.

Sorry about the predator attack. Was she attacked while out in the yard, or inside the coop? Do you have any idea what it was? A predator will often shake or sqeeze the chicken causing internal injuries. If bones in the wing are exposed, Betadine or chlorhexidene would be best for disinfecting the wound. Usually wounds are best left open to air, with antibiotic ointment covering the wound. Watch for flies getting into the wound. Separation inside a wire dog crate with food and water, and perhaps a clean towel for bedding would keep it clean and prevent it from being pecked. Usually staying with the flock is best at least for part of each day, to remain in the flock pecking order. I would offer some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg bits a few times a day. Make sure that she is taking fluids.

Chickens are amazingly resilient. It's great news she is eating and walking. Give her time to rest and heal in a quiet and safe space. A dog crate works well. Keep the wound clean like you are already doing and make sure there are no other wounds. Is she drinking water? If so, you can offer her sugar water. Others should chime in shortly with anything I missed.
Hi! This is my other account, I just got water to check and she is able to drink on her own!! I am worried she might have some breathing issues because her comb is turning darker toward where her nose is. She is breathing slightly hard. I have used Q-Tips and eye saline solution to try and wipe some of the blood of because she might have been hurt or too stressed when attacked. The only other cut on her was hear her back because whatever attacked her ripped a lot of her feathers off. I have already cleaned any small cuts on her feet and she is currently laying down after her morning wound cleaning. We have a make shift sleeping pen for the chickens whenever there is an attack. I am hoping to find out whatever animal it was to avoid it coming up again. We have placed wood along any holes on the run of the coop. I have also made vinegar towels, light up the place, and placed some other scent towels in case it was a opossum. I am worried it might have been the massive stray cats that I have only seen yesterday as there where three or two of them. I doubt it was one of them because the wound was too large. Are there any indications it might have been a cat?

Sorry about the predator attack. Was she attacked while out in the yard, or inside the coop? Do you have any idea what it was? A predator will often shake or sqeeze the chicken causing internal injuries. If bones in the wing are exposed, Betadine or chlorhexidene would be best for disinfecting the wound. Usually wounds are best left open to air, with antibiotic ointment covering the wound. Watch for flies getting into the wound. Separation inside a wire dog crate with food and water, and perhaps a clean towel for bedding would keep it clean and prevent it from being pecked. Usually staying with the flock is best at least for part of each day, to remain in the flock pecking order. I would offer some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg bits a few times a day. Make sure that she is taking fluids.
Hey! This is my other account. She was attacked around 12:37 at night inside her coop/run. I am thinking it was either a racoon, cat, or opossum more leaning to opossum due to the lack of marks. Thankfully, right as my sister heard the noise her and my mom ran outside chasing off whatever it is. We have had a opossum get into the coops months and months back so that's why I think it is most likely that. Should i take the bandages off? Other wounds wise, she has some bruising ? I think on her comb which is making it darker near her nose. She has gone out of her stress shock and is currently not panting anymore just laying down. We have given some cat food (At the start but have switched over to wet feed), along with normal feed, sugar water, and I will be making her scrambled eggs as per your recommendation.

We have been letting her chill out with her flock to get some outside sun time. She usually eats the grass and sits/stands around them.

All of those could squeeze into a coop. Is the floor dirt or are there openings in the walls? I go over it and block off even any tiny openings. If the floor is dirt animals can burrow under, so many people use a hardware cloth fencing apron around the outside of coops and runs. Pictures of your coop and setup could help. Here is a video of making an apron to surround your chickens run and coop:

https://carolinacoops.com/predator-apron/

All of those could squeeze into a coop. Is the floor dirt or are there openings in the walls? I go over it and block off even any tiny openings. If the floor is dirt animals can burrow under, so many people use a hardware cloth fencing apron around the outside of coops and runs. Pictures of your coop and setup could help. Here is a video of making an apron to surround your chickens run and coop:

The floor is dirt, the metal run surrounding the coop doesn't have any big holes minus the one in the front door which we usually block out but something could've slipped in through there most likely. I'll take pictures of our coop itself after we are done doing repairs on it today i.e fixing the shingles, adding wire around the coop like you said, and checking for any holes in which the predator could have gone through. She is panting here and there but very briefly. There is only one wall opening in the back.

Last edited:

I just noticed there is another issue and I am slightly panicking because I've never seen it but her skin is green????? I am also worried that her would might be infected some how because my sister stated she could "Smell" the wound. The wound in white now with slight yellow near the bottom and it lets out clear liquid (Bone side) while the top has green skin and looks rather normal (and healing) otherwise. She is currently outside eating grass with her flock. She is also the lead of her flock. I am also still worried about her comb darkening around her nose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom