Emergency!! Antifreeze!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NSawyer, Feb 15, 2015.

1. NSawyer

NSawyer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Chicagoland
    #[email protected]@//!!
    I just watched one of my hens jump the fence, walk right over to the bucket, and jump into 6 inches of antifreeze. She jumped right back out but I saw her mouth moving when it got on her face. I got to her as fast as I could but not fast enough to stop it. I washed her off immediately and forced some water down but I'm at a total loss for what else to do. She just ate and has a completely full crop. Would you recommend vomiting? Wait and see? Prepare a coffin?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Here's what I found with a quick google search http://www.spca.bc.ca/welfare/campaign-issues/pet-friendly-antifreeze.html I know it's the Canadian site but still good info. Hope your girl makes it!

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Please try to find a veterinarian as quickly as possible to get advice. If there is a local feed/store open that would have knowledge of poultry, they might be able to suggest an antidote of some kind as well.. The only thing I know about it activated charcoal we use with our non poultry farm animals if they have eaten a plant that is toxic. BUT antifreeze is not treated by it as Charcoal doesn't bind well with glycol.Merck veterinary manual online gives you treatment for dogs and cats and symptoms of what to watch for with poultry. http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/tox...ity/overview_of_ethylene_glycol_toxicity.html Hope this was of some help. I will update it if I find anything else.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is your hen doing? Nothing like vomiting or charcoal will help after the first hour. There are certain antidotes such as ethanol and others, that can be given by an emergency vet, but kidney failure can occur. Hopefully your ben didn't drink any, at least I really hope so. Please give us an update on her when you can.

5. NSawyer

Jun 16, 2013
    Chicagoland
    Thank you all for the informative links. Part of the battle as a chicken mom is the lack of research due to their replaceability. It's been a little over 2 hours and so far I see no effects. I'm not going to hope she'll live for at least 24 hours. A friend did find the attached info, it says no treatment for poultry. I didn't do the peroxide/vomiting because the antifreeze can says not to. Just when I finally had kicked all the chickens back outside! [​IMG]

6. KayHartZZ

KayHartZZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Please keep us posted!
    XX fingers crossed she didn't actually ingest any.

7. NSawyer

Jun 16, 2013
    Chicagoland
    It's now been over 4 hours and she's still showing no signs of toxicosis. Kidney damage might take a while to be obvious. She's enjoying the warmth of the heated floor in our bathroom along with my permanent house hen.

I'll keep her inside as long as need be, but now I have new questions. If she survives, would you ever eat those eggs? There's obviously no recommendation on egg withdrawal period because no one recommends poisoning a hen to find out... I would seriously pay for this answer though.

Farm vet is closed til Tuesday. Of course. The Merck manual has been most helpful though.

8. NSawyer

Jun 16, 2013
    Chicagoland
    Hour 18
    Miss Lady is displeased with the lack of breakfast service in this bathroom.
    I'm thinking I'll keep her in for a week or two, as long as I can stand it, to keep flushing any toxins out. She is drinking lots of water, which is a good thing imo.
    [​IMG]

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Glad to see her up [​IMG] and about and yes the Merck manual does so help in a lot. Egg toxicity... qa - I have no idea if it ever flushes through the system. I would say that is a specialty question for vet, etc. I know clearance on basic meds used is anywhere between 10 days and 30 days depending on what it is. The issue of chemical toxicity is so different that I certainly would recommend imho, no eating of any present eggs until you can get advice. I'm glad to see you taking extra steps to help and as I have a little Cold Weather for Animals group I participate in, this is also time to remind them about antifreeze and road salt as well. Take care and will keep you and your hen in my thoughts and prayers. (PS one of the thoughts I often have are as the daughter of a scientist/engineer). Thinking from that part of my family background, you might want to ask this question of your public local Agricultural college in your state, If they don't know, perhaps one of the students would like to take this on as a project and test the egg in its entirity, the shell and contents for any presence of toxin. Then your hen and you can help us all know about that! Most states also have a state funded veterinary school where training is going on and folks can bring their animals for treatment. It is not a free service but they might also be a resource. I'll watch this thread to see what you learn regarding antifreeze and egg but in the mean time. healing thoughts and prayers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by