EMERGENCY!!!!!! Broken neck???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by best-nestin', Apr 1, 2009.

1. best-nestin'

best-nestin' Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    We woke up this morning to one of our 4 month old chicks, laying on the ground. It looks like she has a broken neck? She is still breathing, and can stand up, but her neck flops around. What to do???? Is this a disease, or just simply an accident? Do I need to be concerned for the rest of my flock???? I am a newbie, and not really sure what to do!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! She is an Arucana (SP?) She was fine yesterday. It was quite windy last night, and our coop has 2 sides open. COuld it be a wind gust?? We also have 6 older chickens, who are bullys to the younger ones. She is not eating and drinking at all. She did have a runny watery poop, while we were holding her. Is all hope lost?????

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Sorry, I have no idea what to do becides keep her warm and hydrated, so bump

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hi there,
    That's what happens when chickens get sick. Her neck is probably not broken.

Isolate her from your other chickens in a warm, dark place. Put drops on her beak of 50/50 Pedialyte and water or, in a pinch, Gatorade and water.

If you can get to the store tomorrow get some PolyViSol liquid baby vitamins no iron and put three drops on her beak for a few days. It might not help, but it won't hurt.

What are you feeding them? Could it be a nutritional deficiency? You should take her off scratch and corn while she is sick.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hope shes gonna be okay! [​IMG] wish i knew how to help you..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by