EMERGENCY: Canadian Goose hit by car

Bronson

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2014
Chicagoland
I came across a Canadian goose that was most likely hit by a car this afternoon. It was laying on its breast in the roadway. It half-heartedly flapped it's wings and stagged off a few steps when I went to get it out of the road. I brought it home, it is in a dog crate in the garage for now. It is very lethargic, but did stand briefly earlier.

It's neck is really loose. One wing is not being held tight to the body, but i have observed it in the normal position at least once, and has scrapes and abrasions at the mid joint.

There is a cut under one eye, and it is puffy. Goose is very docile, and not fighting being handled. Wounds were cleaned and blue kote applied. Feet were cold, so it is under a heat lamp.

I plan on taking it to local wildlife rehab center in the AM, but what else can I do this evening to ensure it makes it thru the night to get there? I have chickens, so have the usual range of first aid products.

It has pooped, which did appear normal.

Beak was dipped in water and it did not appear to be interested.

It is resting on a pine shavings and grass hay bed currently

@Bronson , it would be best to get it to them tonight, but if you can't do that, it's probably best just to keep it in a dark, quite place and not mess with it.

It looks like it's under great care with you, and it's nice to know that someone stopped to help the poor thing. Most people would have just kept going. Make sure to let us know how everything goes, and best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom