Emergency care question

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
So another bobcat made an appearance last night. The coop was pretty darn secure because he had to use some massive strength to get as far as he did. Tore a tiny bit of the wire off the front but not enough to get his paw in even. But he did manage to hurt a couple ducklings trying it. I have one with a small bald patch on her neck so I figure some neosporin (no pain medication) for her to prevent any infection from the pulled fuzz but the second one is more of a problem. Duke has a pretty bad cut on his hip. it is about 2 inches long and I can see in it pretty good. I don't want him to get any kind of flies laying anything in it but I can't get any Wonderdust to dry it up and help it until tonight a little after 6. I washed the cut with a mild soap and put neosprin to hopefully prevent any kind of infection. It is in a very awkward spot so wrapping it really isn't the best option. It is almost right at his hip, we tried wraping it up this morning but he couldn't stand or walk with it on and when we moved it even a bit higher it fell off. Can I put anything on him to keep the flies from getting on it and laying their nasty little eggs? http://www.tractorsupply.com/flys-off-reg-insect-repellent-for-dogs-9-oz--2404242 that is the only thing I have in terms of fly repellent. It works excellent on my dog but I didn't know if just a bit would be ok for my 8 week old duckling.

Glad to hear the bobcat was deterred, sorry two ducklings were hurt.

My first thought is that perhaps you could bring both injured ducks indoors for a couple of days until Duke's cut seals up better. A friend of mine had a seriously wounded chicken, so she put her in the spring house for a few days before reintroducing her to the flock - the chicken seems fine today (several weeks later).Storey's Guide recommends doing what you are doing, and also do spray a pyrethrin-based insecticide on the feathers around the wound.

I don't need to tell you, but I will anyway (
hide.gif
) be super careful with the pyrethrin and the duckling. Pyrethrins affect breathing - can be fatal if used incorrectly.

If it were me, I'd bring the duckling inside but if that were not possible, I would spray a rag lightly with pyrethrin and then wipe the feathers immediately around the wound. I would still try to wrap the wound with vet wrap, perhaps going once around the top of the leg and then a time or two around the body (easier said that done, oh my).

Those are my thoughts. I pray Duke will have a rapid and full recovery.

And I pray you can set something up to discourage the bobcat. some kind of electroshock therapy, perhaps.

We have bobcats, fishers and other predators in town. No one has tried the duck house yet, as far as I can tell. That's no guarantee at all, I know.

Thank you so much Amiga! I keep thinking that the Fly repellent is going to kill Duke so I have to check the cam every couple of minutes on the webcam I set out before work. The cat hadn't messed with the ducklings until last night, I guess a lack of food over the last 2 weeks made him crazy. We are going to patch up the baby coop tonight since we know exactly what he tried and luckily the rest of the coop is secured. Duke wasn't happy being inside this morning even with Lila there but he will have to get used to living in the brooder (tub) again until I know he is healed and in the clear.

The shotgun will deter the bobcat until we can get something figured out electrical wise for anyone else brave enough to go up against us
smile.png

The recommendations from Storey's are in the general guide to caring for wounded ducks. No mention is made of ducklings. We both know that young'uns are more sensitive to just about everything, so I'm glad you're watching Duke closely.

Charcoal can detox a bit, you may want to think about putting a little ground charcoal (you know - the stuff in the capsules that you swallow, NOT the briquettes that have the petroleum accelerant) in Duke's water just in case.

Maybe I can stop the niacin for a couple of days and do the charcoal or up the dosage of the niacin. I'll have to look in to that. Thank you so much for your help Amiga. I am a little bit more at ease about treating him now

Back
Top Bottom