Emergency! Chick fading fast

She has died 😥 we thought she was rallying as she perked up after being syringe fed, but I went to get her for the next lot and her head was hanging right down, she didn’t seem to be able to lift it.
I picked her up and smoothed her gently and she closed her eyes and stopped breathing within a few minutes. Poor little thing.
Should I be worried about the others? She couldn’t stand at the end but her legs were normal (I’m thinking of mareks)

She has died 😥 we thought she was rallying as she perked up after being syringe fed, but I went to get her for the next lot and her head was hanging right down, she didn’t seem to be able to lift it.
I picked her up and smoothed her gently and she closed her eyes and stopped breathing within a few minutes. Poor little thing.
Should I be worried about the others? She couldn’t stand at the end but her legs were normal (I’m thinking of mareks)
Sorry that your chick didn’t make it. You did everything you could.
Check the other chicks. Make sure they are all eating, drinking, pooping, warm enough, and active.
When I have little chicks, I give them water with electrolytes in it for a few days, or if they seem under the weather.
I also give them vitamins in their water, and only feed then chick starter in the beginning.

Very sorry for your little chick. From all ive read (no personal experience thankfully), mareks symptoms dont show up until at least 3 weeks after first exposure. So if the chick was less than 3 weeks old, it didnt die from mareks. Hopefully it was "just" too dehydrated and weakened from spending the auction sale day in a small hot cage.

You did all you could, I'm sorry she died :( .

Maybe as you already said, this little one was already weakened by the conditions she was kept in before you had her, the others will hopefully remain stronger.

Thanks everyone, yes I am keeping a close eye on the others, I will put some of the electrolytes and some vits in their water that’s a good idea.
They all seem happy so far so fingers crossed. I am cross that the auction allowed so many very young chicks to be left like that- presumably if I hadn’t bought them they would have remained there all day.

Thanks everyone, yes I am keeping a close eye on the others, I will put some of the electrolytes and some vits in their water that’s a good idea.
They all seem happy so far so fingers crossed. I am cross that the auction allowed so many very young chicks to be left like that- presumably if I hadn’t bought them they would have remained there all day.
Being left in those conditions may have caused further deaths. Thank goodness you got them out.

All these years we have heard of animal neglect and abuse being monitored today is obviously fake news, there's been no improvement at all :(

Back
Top Bottom