Emergency! Chick has fowl pox on both eyes.

Florencehb

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Mallorca, Spain
I've been raising 4 chicks and they all have fowl pox on their eyes, but since yesterday one of them has had scabs on both of their eyes and is barely eating and drinking, is there any way to clear up the eyes and scabs rapidly as I'm afraid it might die. Thanks!

How old are the chicks? Unfortunately fowl pox is much harder on young chicks, and the swollen scabs can cover the face making it hard to see or breathe. You will probably need to feed and water them often throughout the day to help them get enough. Fowl pox lasts about 3 weeks, and goes away without treatment. Eye infections can be a secondary infection, so if you can apply Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store, or use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day in affected eyes, that may help.

How old are the chicks? Unfortunately fowl pox is much harder on young chicks, and the swollen scabs can cover the face making it hard to see or breathe. You will probably need to feed and water them often throughout the day to help them get enough. Fowl pox lasts about 3 weeks, and goes away without treatment. Eye infections can be a secondary infection, so if you can apply Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store, or use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day in affected eyes, that may help.
Thanks for the reply, they're 5 weeks old so hoping they will be okay. Do you know if they ointments help with the healing process aswell as preventing secondary infections? Thank you!

Thanks for the reply, they're 5 weeks old so hoping they will be okay. Do you know if they ointments help with the healing process aswell as preventing secondary infections? Thank you!
I had a few of my birds get Fowl Pox a few months ago, they weren’t as young as yours but I did apply antibacterial ointment to the scabs to prevent secondary infection. Important to keep your birds separated from others so they don’t get it, it is contagious if other birds come in contact with the scabs. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after applying the ointment. Good luck, most birds recover quite well from this. They may need some extra protein, you can give them some plain scrambled eggs in addition to the regular feed.😊

It is best for the scabs to dry out and fall off, but I would use antibiotic eye ointment in eyes where scabs are on or near the eyes.

Back
Top Bottom