EMERGENCY chick has sac hanging out

Oh MY my my. No, I don't think she's not going to make it. It is remotely possible to save a chick with intestinal prolapse, but the survivability is very slim. You'd need a vet, perhaps, and a whole lot of prayers.

If you want to tackle it, the basic process (I've read, but NOT AN EXPERT) is to disinfect it all very carefully, gently poke the intestines back inside her abdomen with a Q-tip, then seal the navel with super-glue. And pray she survives. But please do your own research first, and talk to an avian vet.

Can you humanely cull her to end her misery?

Oh MY my my. No, I don't think she's not going to make it. It is remotely possible to save a chick with intestinal prolapse, but the survivability is very slim. You'd need a vet, perhaps, and a whole lot of prayers.

If you want to tackle it, the basic process (I've read, but NOT AN EXPERT) is to disinfect it all very carefully, gently poke the intestines back inside her abdomen with a Q-tip, then seal the navel with super-glue. And pray she survives. But please do your own research first, and talk to an avian vet.

Can you humanely cull her to end her misery?
I don't think I can mentally get myself to cull her, I'm gonna try to get them back in. 😔

"The ether method I use is done with a small airtight container (I use old plastic coffee containers, but even a butter bowl will work). Get a can of car started fluid, make sure it’s the kind that contains ether. Do this outside! Spray a paper towel with some of the ether, put the baby in the towel, and put it all down in the container. Spray generously, but careful you don’t inhale any fumes yourself. Put the lid on and the chick will be put to sleep, then die quickly and painlessly in its sleep." necessary

Copy n pasted from another thread. This is a humane way that puts them to sleep. It isnt graphic. Its very gentle. @Emma_Bruffy

Back
Top Bottom