EMERGENCY: CHICKEN CAN'T BREATHE

Has she been wormed recently? If not I would consider using Valbazen 1/2 ml, or Safegard Liquid Goat Wormer 1.25 ml orally for 5 consecutive days. How old is she? Is there any sneezing or is she gasping, or having watery/bubbly eyes? Was there any mucus or yellow matter in her throat?
She is 1 yr 1/2. I haven't wormed her yet. I do have a wormer specially for chickens though if that would work? I'm not sure if she wants to eat. She did sneeze yesterday which seemed to help but I have not seen her sneeze today. No yellow matter or mucus in her throat.

Has she been wormed recently? If not I would consider using Valbazen 1/2 ml, or Safegard Liquid Goat Wormer 1.25 ml orally for 5 consecutive days. How old is she? Is there any sneezing or is she gasping, or having watery/bubbly eyes? Was there any mucus or yellow matter in her throat?
I'd take the Poultry Dewormer 5X back and get the Liquid Goat dewormer which is much easier to dose.
Poultry Dewormer 5x (Fenbendazole capsules) by RNA Supplements.
If you wish to use the Dewormer 5X then read this whole thread so you give the correct dosing. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/are-these-normal-poops.1553393/

The Poultry Dewormer is fenbendazole, but it is a much weaker dose that the goat wormer. For something like gapeworm the liquid goat wormer given at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days is the best dosage.
How can I tell that it is gapeworm? So far whatever is stuck has not been able to get out of her throat. Checked her throat again with a good flashlight, absolutely nothing to be seen. She doesn't seem to be drinking water or eating feed, so I syringed her about 6 mls of water with a teaspoon of homeade chicken electrolytes. I did deworm her with the chicken dewormer and I can't afford the liquid goat dewormer at the moment, unfortunately. Any ideas on what to feed her while she is in this state? As I said, she does not want to eat chicken feed.
Thank you!

Last edited:
How can I tell that it is gapeworm? So far whatever is stuck has not been able to get out of her throat. Checked her throat again with a good flashlight, absolutely nothing to be seen. She doesn't seem to be drinking water or eating feed, so I syringed her about 6 mls of water with a teaspoon of homeade chicken electrolytes. I did deworm her with the chicken dewormer and I can't afford the liquid goat dewormer at the moment, unfortunately. Any ideas on what to feed her while she is in this state? As I said, she does not want to eat chicken feed.
Thank you!
Some of the healthier things mine will wolf down are drained tuna (in water), scrambled eggs, sugar-free Greek yogurt with fruit added to it. If you can find a watermelon, that would hydrate her too. You could try wetting her food to make it soft. For some reason, our adults think that's a treat. I'd also add a bit of vitamins to her water or a couple drops in whatever food you can get her to eat.

If you're sure she was in the middle of eating when attacked, and brought this on, it's not worms but better safe than sorry. I would now be watching for a respiratory infection if whatever that is, is lodged and not coming up, but it's still early. She could hack it up yet.

Good luck!

Thank you!
A fecal float would tell you if it's Gapeworm.

I'd work on keeping her hydrated, offer her wet soupy feed.

How many dewormer tablets did you figure she needed based on the thread I linked? Do you know how much she weighs?

Can you get a video of how she acts and breaths? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

Back
Top Bottom