Are these normal poops?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
So we got my chicken back from my family a few months ago and she seemed pretty underweight. She was very light and it was super easy to feel her keel.

We decided to treat her with this dewormer as a preventative measure. She took one pill each day for three days, and then 10 days later, we did that again. Ever since this treatment, she seems to have gone completely back to normal and eats plenty. She’s heavier, always wants to leave her coop to go outside, and is very active. She went through her fall molt after this treatment and started laying again just this week.
There’s only one abnormal thing: her solid poops are only here and there, most of them are very watery. I hadn’t noticed that her poops were like this again (she had a period where most were round and solid, but before that they were mostly water still) until I forgot to close the coop last night. She was out all this morning, and wreaked some havoc (pooped all over the garage, ate the small amount of chick crumbles i had left out. Thankfully I left all of the treat bags closed). Anyways, this gave me a chance to see a lot of her poops. Which look like normal poops except super watery?? I do see her go drink water often. It’s kind of chilly right now, ranging from daily 50s to low 80s F.
Are these poops normal? What do they look like to you guys? She has a clean vent and otherwise seems quite healthy. The pictures attached are of the poops on the garage floor and her poop board.

Basically I’m worried she may still have parasites because I have chicks and I don’t want to introduce them to live with her until I know that she is 100% healthy.

Note: red tint is from a red heat lamp. Wood chip pieces were initially already on the floor.

Attachments

• BD7238CD-AFEE-42E1-B27D-4E23D8AE5DEE.jpeg
    BD7238CD-AFEE-42E1-B27D-4E23D8AE5DEE.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 8B1282ED-4B90-495F-A5D0-D1725E44A428.jpeg
    8B1282ED-4B90-495F-A5D0-D1725E44A428.jpeg
    753.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 394A8B87-40D1-41AA-A6F9-80C6CBE68C0A.jpeg
    394A8B87-40D1-41AA-A6F9-80C6CBE68C0A.jpeg
    600.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 5B14BCD9-DA4C-4C08-B4A9-58F39366D686.jpeg
    5B14BCD9-DA4C-4C08-B4A9-58F39366D686.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DFB9CF59-0AA5-4BFE-9FDD-D6EDB99EC028.jpeg
    DFB9CF59-0AA5-4BFE-9FDD-D6EDB99EC028.jpeg
    769.3 KB · Views: 14
  • E820E42B-FD27-4819-9D70-F584C0688FE2.jpeg
    E820E42B-FD27-4819-9D70-F584C0688FE2.jpeg
    661.5 KB · Views: 15
One of my chickens had poop like the one in picture 3. She was also very lethargic, and the vet put her on antibiotics for 10 days. She got better after a few days, but they couldn't find any bacteria in her poop 🤷‍♀️
So maybe you can take the poop to a vet and get it tested?

One of my chickens had poop like the one in picture 3. She was also very lethargic, and the vet put her on antibiotics for 10 days. She got better after a few days, but they couldn't find any bacteria in her poop 🤷‍♀️
I could, if it doesn’t cost too much.

What’s strange is that she’s not lethargic. She seems to have improved a lot and I’m not seeing any of her previous signs of illness anymore. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to go get it tested, I guess.

Those capsules contain 6.7 mg of fenbendazole. The correct dosing for chickens is 50 mg per kg of bird weight, or 23 mg per pound. When using the liquid goat wormer that is 100mg/ml, the dose is .23 ml per pound. So you need to weigh your bird and do the math to see how many capsules will need to be given to make the correct amount for dosing of that. A 6 lb bird would get 1.4 ml of the goat wormer (my math says it would take 20.3 of those capsules for a correct dose of a 6 lb bird). So in that case, you way under dosed when worming. I know the bottle says one capsule for 4-7 lbs, that does not make sense to me at all.
This thread has dosing info and sources for fenbendazole, see post #14:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fenbendazole-poisoning.1281129/page-2#post-25993164
I'm going to tag a few people to double check my math, so they will PLEASE correct any errors I might have made!! Heaven knows I make them!
@Eggcessive , @Wyorp Rock , @casportpony

Those capsules contain 6.7 mg of fenbendazole. The correct dosing for chickens is 50 mg per kg of bird weight, or 23 mg per pound. When using the liquid goat wormer that is 100mg/ml, the dose is .23 ml per pound. So you need to weigh your bird and do the math to see how many capsules will need to be given to make the correct amount for dosing of that. A 6 lb bird would get 1.4 ml of the goat wormer (my math says it would take 20.3 of those capsules for a correct dose of a 6 lb bird). So in that case, you way under dosed when worming. I know the bottle says one capsule for 4-7 lbs, that does not make sense to me at all.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fenbendazole-poisoning.1281129/page-2#post-25993164
I'm going to tag a few people to double check my math, so they will PLEASE correct any errors I might have made!! Heaven knows I make them!
She was 3.2 lbs when I weighed her before the treatment. She’s definitely heavier now. I’ll weigh her as soon as I can. I think I’ll treat her again once I know the right dosage.

She was 3.2 lbs when I weighed her before the treatment. She’s definitely heavier now. I’ll weigh her as soon as I can. I think I’ll treat her again once I know the right dosage.
Just weighed her! It’s the end of the day over here and she’s about to go to bed. She’s 3.6 pounds now whereas last time she was 3.2. How many pills a day should I give her? Should I do the recommended method of treating her for 3 days and then waiting 10 days later to do 3 more days of treatment?

That's what I get too.
I've seen some folks using this product as a dewormer. I'm having a hard time finding all the labeling and manufacturing info for this specific product.
If you notice on the front label it says:
"Fenbendazole can be used as a G.I. supplement to help protect against:"
This wording bothers me. I'd like to see the back label and how it reads.

BUT, I agree the dosing of one capsule at 6.7mg Fenbendazole is too low for a bird of 4-7lbs (what a wide weight range too!). Even at the lowest dose of 10mg/kg one capsule would be underdosing.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

1667096450241.png

That's what I get too.
I've seen some folks using this product as a dewormer. I'm having a hard time finding all the labeling and manufacturing info for this specific product.
If you notice on the front label it says:
"Fenbendazole can be used as a G.I. supplement to help protect against:"
This wording bothers me. I'd like to see the back label and how it reads.

BUT, I agree the dosing of one capsule at 6.7mg Fenbendazole is too low for a bird of 4-7lbs (what a wide weight range too!). Even at the lowest dose of 10mg/kg one capsule would be underdosing.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

View attachment 3306224
I’ll grab a better pic of it. So, are we thinking two capsules per day to be more effective?

Back
Top Bottom