EMERGENCY: CHICKEN MAY HAVE HAD A STROKE?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iuvmychix, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicken Moa, an eight month old Black Star chicken recently started limping. Two days ago, she started limping and I first noticed this when I opened their coop in the morning. I thought, this was probably not a large problem, because she was barely limping. I thought I would wait until the next morning, to see if she got any worse. She did she continued limping, not too much worse, but not better either. Now, she is walking around like she's incredibly dizzy. And she only takes short steps before she sits down again. She is eating and drinking. Could this be a stroke? What do I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would do some research on Mareks disease. Mareks can cause weakness on one side, sometimes with dragging of a leg, and using wings for balance. Many problems can look like Mareks, so do some reading. Also put her on some poultry vitamins in her water--many feed stores have them--to treat a possible vitamin deficency.

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you, I've done the vitamins. And will now do research.

4. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Check to see if she is sweaty on the skin. Have you been experiencing crazy weather? What are the temps over there? This could be a heat stroke or just heat exhaustion. I would also treat with a bit of sugar water to make her feel a bit more peppy, if she seems to be in pain you can give a half to a whole aspirin daily.

What this an old thread. Sorry ignore me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by