Emergency chicken move need advice!

Pics
I believe that was an option considered,
maybe you missed that part of the thread? ;)

She thinks that the chickens are what is keeping her husband going.
OOOOOoooohhhh! You ARE living dangerously ... openly inviting Chicken Math into your life and coop. Be careful what you wish for .... very, very careful!!
:D:gig:D

Chicken math is that something like I started out with eight and then I added twelve more.

Our house burned down last weekend. We are new 'chicken parents' of 3 lovely sexlink hens. We built them a nice coop and seriously predator-proofed it as there may be raccoons, coyotes, etc in the area.
We may have to move the chickens to another property over the winter till the house is rebuilt. We need to keep them safe. We lost a dog in the fire. We can't bear it if we lose the chickens too. They are tame & follow us around. Unless we are willing to move them twice we may be staying 2 miles away from them over part of the house re-build time. Any thoughts about best pre-fab coops for the short term or ANY other advice would be welcome.
So sorry to hear about your dog and your home. So nice of you to take such good care of your chickens when going through such a difficult time.

Our house burned down last weekend. We are new 'chicken parents' of 3 lovely sexlink hens. We built them a nice coop and seriously predator-proofed it as there may be raccoons, coyotes, etc in the area.
We may have to move the chickens to another property over the winter till the house is rebuilt. We need to keep them safe. We lost a dog in the fire. We can't bear it if we lose the chickens too. They are tame & follow us around. Unless we are willing to move them twice we may be staying 2 miles away from them over part of the house re-build time. Any thoughts about best pre-fab coops for the short term or ANY other advice would be welcome.
Update: (in case anyone is curious what happened next)

Thank you everyone for your help! We relocated the hens to a prefab coop at a ranch 2 miles from our property. The coop is not as good as the one we built, but we reinforced it & followed advice here about enclosing part of the run area. So far all 3 are alive and well. They slowed down with eggs, but I understand that’s natural in the winter. We don’t light them due to fire fear. It’s been cold, but they are a cold hardy breed. They adore being near cows. Ick. But they seem happy.
I’m grateful to all of you for your great suggestions.
I want to add 3 new chickens whenever they finish rebuilding our house. I’ll be back for advice on how to introduce them!

bless you all

Update: (in case anyone is curious what happened next)

Thank you everyone for your help! We relocated the hens to a prefab coop at a ranch 2 miles from our property. The coop is not as good as the one we built, but we reinforced it & followed advice here about enclosing part of the run area. So far all 3 are alive and well. They slowed down with eggs, but I understand that’s natural in the winter. We don’t light them due to fire fear. It’s been cold, but they are a cold hardy breed. They adore being near cows. Ick. But they seem happy.
I’m grateful to all of you for your great suggestions.
I want to add 3 new chickens whenever they finish rebuilding our house. I’ll be back for advice on how to introduce them!

bless you all
I's great to hear from you! It sounds like your fresh start is progressing well, all things considered. Thanks for the update ... and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom