EMERGENCY: Chicken shaking and falling over? VIDEO

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
I let the chickens out this morning and found a 3 month old white faced black spanish just sitting in the bedding in the coop. These things are usually very skittish, and won't let me get too close. Well, she let me pick her up. As soon as I did, she started shaking like she was having a seizure and flapping her wings. When I put her back down, she stumbled a couple steps to the side and then collapsed. I did this same thing 3 or 4 times, and she did it every time. Any idea what this could be?

Last edited:
You said you found her in the bedding right? I had one fall off of the roost while it was asleep and it did that. It was brain swelling. She lived but was never the same. Good luck!
hugs.gif

I'm really leaning towards it being an injury. I just moved it into a larger plastic tub and it stood up straight for a bit, but it was standing very light on one foot. It eventually fell to it's side again. But I've put it in a container that I can see through, so I'm going to watch it tonight and we'll see.

If it was something horrible, would the bird be up and walking around normally at this point, only 24 hours later? We noticed her last night (she's inside the house with us) putting weight on both legs for a while before sitting back down. This morning, she's walking around pretty normally and frankly, I'm considering adding her back to the flock. Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom