Silkiechickens10

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2019
Minnesota
I have a twelve chicken flock. My buff orpington, Patty was not in the roost the other night when I went to close the coop door. We had recently got a new lighting setup for my coop, and I figured it just needed to be adjusted and it was too dark for her to want to jump onto a roost. So I picked her up and put her on a roost. That's when i noticed the first two red flags. One, she didn't squirm one bit. Patty tends to be one of my more skittish hens. And second, her legs were frozen. I assumed she would have been laying on the floor, but it was obvious she was standing there. I was rushing out of the house, so I put her to bed and decided I'd check her when I got home. Again. Her legs were frozen. I scooped her up and brought her inside, and put some vaseline on her comb and waddles, because it had cotten to 20°F in the coop, and I wasnt sure what was going on yet so I decided that wouldnt hurt. Her and I sat in the garage for a while, and I could tell how lethargic she was. I started to do some research, although I didnt have a whole lot to go off of. I offered her food and some scratch grains, wich she took a few packs of, and then i decided to put her in a dog cage for the night at least. She was so so lethargic. While i was setting up she didnt move a muscle from her place on the ground. The next morning I noticed a stool, wich I was happy about, but then I realised how abnormal it was. I don't have a picture anymore, but it was yellow, watery and almost foamy. I did more research and I figured she had worms. I havent de wormed my flock (wich I realize is a huge mistake, and I'm working on that now). We got some 10% fetedazol (I cant remember how to spell it) and i gave her a pea sized drop (it's a paste) this morning. Not much has changed still. Our garage is heated so she is comfortable, but she hasnt pooped anymore, I wasnt even sure if she had ate or drank. I just layed her down and forced some water mixed with apple cider vinegar in her. She is so lethargic she is like a rag doll. I'm really worried. The one other thing I noticed was she breathed quite loudly when I went to pick her up to give her water. It sounded like she had trouble breathing? I assume respiratory disease, and I was planning on grabbing some Vet Rx from fleet farm in the morning. I just wanted to post on here and see if anyone has any tips, or if I even diagnosed her correctly.

Okay, back up please to where you tell us her legs are frozen. Do you mean frozen like a block of ice or paralysis?

How old is Patty? Have you ever had any mysterious illness in your flock before? Has Patty been molting? Has she lost a lot of weight? Has she been free ranging and maybe gotten into compost with rotting or moldy food buried there that she might have dug up?

Have you checked Patty's crop? Full, empty, hard, lumpy, soft and spongy?

Do you have any yard machines sitting around leaking fluids onto the ground?

Is Patty a chicken hatched from your flock? Or a hatchery chick you brooded and raised? If so, was she vaccinated for Marek's?

Her legs seemed paralyzed, when I said frozen I was thinking cold to the touch, but when I set her on the roost, she didnt grip it or move her toes much, but she has been in the heated garage and her feet are warm now.

Patty is a year and a half old. When she was just a pullet she did become sick. The only signs we noticed is she would nap EVERYWHERE standing up no matter what. She would do her best to stay with the flock, but then would stand and close her eyes. I would have to go look at the bottle but we got antibiotics for her and our whole flock and put that in the water for around a month. She has not been mounting recently, and I cant be sure, because she has many beautiful feathers, but she did feel lighter than normal yesterday and today. My hens have and acre of fenced in land to roam. The last time we free ranged them was a few weeks ago, and I cant think of any garbage she would be able to get into.

I did check her crop, it was empty, I tried to get some food in her mouth, but she didnt bother to swallow.

We keep everything in the shed or garage with the doors closed so there should be no machines for her to get into/be around.

I got my entire flock of chickens all together from a hatchery in my area, and they have all been raised together

Back
Top Bottom