Emergency Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stormyhorses98, Aug 25, 2016.

1. stormyhorses98

stormyhorses98 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    My little brother accidentally let the dogs out while chickens were outside and he let them out for an hour... had to kill 2 of my girls and a third is injured and I need some advice with her.

She seems fairly alert, she picks her head up and is looking around although she wansn't when I found her she was hiding and wouldn't move... we brought her inside and put her in a small dog crate and covered it up for now... she has some water in there if she wants it.

She has some missing skin on her back with one puncture, and missing skin on the back of her neck for about an inch and a half.
    She also has some skin missing on her upper right leg almost her underside.... She isn't bleeding from any of her wounds... Like I said shes in a "quiet box" for now... but we have no vets that handle birds in our area and don't really have the money to take her to a vet if we even did. We moved the cage from the top of a table to the floor and while doing that she stood up, so she can stand. Any advice would be helpful... sadly this isn't the first time the dog has attacked and killed our birds.... even inside cages he will grab feathers and eventually rip heads off... he may be finding a home without chickens soon...

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Sounds like your biggest concern will be shock. Keep her warm and hydrated. When you say skin missing, can you provide a picture? Are you sure it isn't just cut and pulled away from the tissue (It would explain the lack of blood)? If there is a laceration, disinfect it and seal it up. I suggest superglue: apply to one side of cut and pinch skin to close. Hold for about a minute and let dry. Also apply some petroleum jelly or mineral/baby oil to soothe the area. Keep her separate from birds that might pick on her for a while and she should make a full recovery. My 12 week Red Ranger caught the back of her neck on fencing, and it indeed looked like missing skin. We superglued it and had a suture kit ready, but she made a full recovery after 2 weeks. Best of luck!

3. stormyhorses98

stormyhorses98 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Facebook got me answers quicker... I should update she is looking a lot better I think our shock is mostly over with... she really didn't go into shock to bad... she was alert and everything and still is 4 hours later although she is sleeping now... she drank a good amount of water and chowed down the food we gave her... She stands just fine... she sure is a trooper though.... we have her on an antibiotic and we are spraying her wounds with vetrycin... I don't care what I need to do I just want my girl to be okay... going to see how she is in the morning... I think if we can make it through these next 3-4 days we will start thinking ahead more but we just need to take it a day at a time
    Here are pictures
    [​IMG]This is her back there is the wound and there is one puncture on her...

[​IMG]This is the back of her neck and the lower part is of her back.....
    [​IMG]Here is the best shot I could get of her hip/side area without messing with her to much....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by