EMERGENCY! Duck is gagging and distressed!

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
Sorry for posting here and not in the medical forum but this is an emergency and I need as much coverage as possible.

This morning, Wobbles began opening her bill wide and throwing her head forward, almost like she was dry-heaving. Well, it just happened again only worse this time, she was FLIPPING OUT, throwing her head back, walking backwards and sprinting all over in a total panic! What can I do? My vet isn't open until tomorrow and I've called every single clinic within 30 miles, no one's open that can take exotics.

She's breathing ok, but could it be sour crop? Would that induce gagging in a duck? Does she have something lodged in her throat? Should I give her olive oil? Please help!!

Last edited:
Sorry for posting here and not in the medical forum but this is an emergency and I need as much coverage as possible.

This morning, Wobbles began opening her bill wide and throwing her head forward, almost like she was dry-heaving. Well, it just happened again only worse this time, she was FLIPPING OUT, throwing her head back, walking backwards and sprinting all over in a total panic! What can I do? My vet isn't open until tomorrow and I've called every single clinic within 30 miles, no one's open that can take exotics.

She's breathing ok, but could it be sour crop? Would that induce gagging in a duck? Does she have something lodged in her throat? Should I give her olive oil? Please help!!
Just found this how is Wobbles tonight, very sorry no one posted here but BYC was acting crazy for me yesterday.

She hasn't had another episode since last night, but now I'm noticing a whistling noise through one of her nares. I gave her a little bit of olive oil to try and help anything along that may have been stuck in her throat or crop, and she's going to the vet tomorrow. Ten bucks says they won't find anything wrong, though. They never seem to. :/ I wish my own clinic treated ducks!

Hopefully if something was stuck she got it out. let us know what the vet says. How did you give her the olive oil? you have to be so careful when putting anything down their throats.

Hopefully if something was stuck she got it out. let us know what the vet says. How did you give her the olive oil? you have to be so careful when putting anything down their throats.
Oh I didn't stick a catheter down her throat or anything, I just put some in an eye dropper and fed it to her. She even seemed to like the taste. :p

Vet confirmed she has a bit of congestion in her air sacs, so she's been put on antibiotics and had several cultures taken to test for bacterial and fungal infection. If it turns out she DOES have aspergillosis like I was afraid of when she first began sneezing several weeks ago, I am going to be BEYOND angry at the three vets I took her to that said there was no way she had it!

...But hopefully it's just bacterial and her medicine will help. At least it's cherry flavored and she actually likes taking it!

Last edited:
Oh I didn't stick a catheter down her throat or anything, I just put some in an eye dropper and fed it to her. She even seemed to like the taste. :p

Vet confirmed she has a bit of congestion in her air sacs, so she's been put on antibiotics and had several cultures taken to test for bacterial and fungal infection. If it turns out she DOES have aspergillosis like I was afraid of when she first began sneezing several weeks ago, I am going to be BEYOND angry at the three vets I took her to that said there was no way she had it!

...But hopefully it's just bacterial and her medicine will help. At least it's cherry flavored and she actually likes taking it!
Bless her heart, at least since she likes it it's easier to give. I hope the meds help too.

Bless her heart, at least since she likes it it's easier to give. I hope the meds help too.

They better, since I get extremely sick every time I have to give it to her!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom