Need help quick! Duck shaking and unresponsive unsure if she swallowed water!!

RynNightmare

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2022
I have 2 Cayuga ducks about a year old and they’re molting, I’m stupid for this and can’t stop blaming myself but I didn’t cover their pool and I went outside to shut them up in their coop and found my sweet girl Colby in the water. I pulled her out but she was soaked to the bone, I’m thinking she went in but couldn’t get out. I brought her inside and she was shaking all over, I warmed her up and got her to the point where she was standing and preening but she’s still shaking and is letting her head droop down, she’s opening her beak slightly and making this chewing type noise and I’ve felt some water at the end of her beak when she did it and hope she hasn’t inhaled any water. I tried to get her to drink or eat something but she wouldn’t we called the emergency vet and it would be $250 just to bring her in tonight and I don’t want to risk it but I don’t really have the money for it if there’s a way to help her without it it would be much appreciated

Edit: I ended up taking her to the emergency vet, she should be fine, they’re giving her some fluids and sending us with some stuff to syringe feed her

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia
@New duck mommy 2021
It's ok - things like this happen to all of us!
How long do you think she stayed in the pool?
I'm not sure how she could have inhaled water (since she's a duck), but did you see your other duck in the pool too? Is it male or female?
Can you post a video of the chewing sound? (post the video on youtube, and then upload it here)

We can't know what happened in the pool but if she was soaked to the skin she was in for some time and needs keeping warm and quiet now.

Can you keep her in the house overnight? In a dog crate or if you do not have one, a large cardboard box? She needs to be in a quiet, warm, dark room with warm dry bedding: a deep layer of pine shavings if she is in a box or old towels if in a dog crate .

Dont try to get her to eat or drink. At a year old she can go overnight without food and water. Just let her rest, warm and peaceful.

Depending on what happened in the pool, she will either recover overnight or she won't. You might take her to a regular hours vet clinic tomorrow although when I took a duck to a vet appointment it was $250 to go through the door. I expect there are vets in other places tbst ate cheaper

@Miss Lydia
@New duck mommy 2021
It's ok - things like this happen to all of us!
How long do you think she stayed in the pool?
I'm not sure how she could have inhaled water (since she's a duck), but did you see your other duck in the pool too? Is it male or female?
Can you post a video of the chewing sound? (post the video on youtube, and then upload it here)
I’m so sorry I didn’t see this sooner! My notifications got turned off, my other duck is a female and wasn’t in the pool, she was by the side we ended up bringing her to the emergency vet and she’d perked up a bit after getting warm, they’re giving her some fluids and sending her home with some stuff to syringe feed her as she’s still not eating or drinking but she should be okay! Thank you for all your help!

We can't know what happened in the pool but if she was soaked to the skin she was in for some time and needs keeping warm and quiet now.

Can you keep her in the house overnight? In a dog crate or if you do not have one, a large cardboard box? She needs to be in a quiet, warm, dark room with warm dry bedding: a deep layer of pine shavings if she is in a box or old towels if in a dog crate .

Dont try to get her to eat or drink. At a year old she can go overnight without food and water. Just let her rest, warm and peaceful.

Depending on what happened in the pool, she will either recover overnight or she won't. You might take her to a regular hours vet clinic tomorrow although when I took a duck to a vet appointment it was $250 to go through the door. I expect there are vets in other places tbst ate cheaper
I have a dog crate set up and plan to keep her there overnight and I warmed her up, I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner somehow my notifications got turned off. we ended up bringing her to the emergency vet and she’d perked up a bit after getting warm, she’s no longer shaking or falling over, they’re giving her some fluids and sending her home with some stuff to syringe feed her as she’s still not eating or drinking but she should be okay! Thank you for all your help!

I just noticed my notification
I’m glad she is doing better
I had one last year that for some reason couldn’t get out
I was away and my daughter was watching them
She found her with only her head sticking out of the water
She looked almost dead. Brought her in and dried her off
Used a blows dryer to help heat her up
Once her body temperature got back up she was back to her normal self
My ducks don’t feed or water at night
If she is eating on her own today o wouldn’t try to force feed
Only if she hadn’t eaten in 24 hours

Back