Emergency - duckling bit a bee/wasp

Last week, a honeybee took a drink from a mud puddle in the garden, where Sieben was standing nearby. Before I could finish saying, "Sieben don't!" she had snapped the poor little bee and swallowed it. I watched. Sieben looked at me for a moment, then trotted off.

Now a few years ago, Zwei got stung on the foot by a yellow jacket. That's when I contacted a vet (sometimes we get lucky) and was told about the Benedryl. It started to swell a little, and she was limping. I applied the Benedryl once and that's all that was needed. I did monitor her all evening.

Three days ago I noticed a large acorn going down a Runner's throat - their necks are so slender, you can watch...

So I try to balance this tightrope of not panicking - that is important - taking note, and preparing to deal with trouble in case it arrives. Wowzas. Sometimes it takes nerves of steel.

Last edited:
Also great advice! Gosh you all are so smart lol. My fiancé said not to take them outside anymore, but they can't stay inside forever
hmm.png
they follow me everywhere outside. I walked them down the road yesterday, got some funny looks from my neighbors and passerbys lol!

He's probably just being caring because he knows it upset you. Of course you should take them outside. The duckling might have learned the "bees are not good to eat" lesson.

I have to ask and didn't want to during your emergency, what's the story behind your nick?

He's probably just being caring because he knows it upset you. Of course you should take them outside. The duckling might have learned the "bees are not good to eat" lesson.

I have to ask and didn't want to during your emergency, what's the story behind your nick?

My nick? I'm sorry, I don't know this word. Lol

Last week, a honeybee took a drink from a mud puddle in the garden, where Sieben was standing nearby. Before I could finish saying, "Sieben don't!" she had snapped the poor little bee and swallowed it. I watched. Sieben looked at me for a moment, then trotted off.

Now a few years ago, Zwei got stung on the foot by a yellow jacket. That's when I contacted a vet (sometimes we get lucky) and was told about the Benedryl. It started to swell a little, and she was limping. I applied the Benedryl once and that's all that was needed. I did monitor her all evening.

Three days ago I noticed a large acorn going down a Runner's throat - their necks are so slender, you can watch...

So I try to balance this tightrope of not panicking - that is important - taking note, and preparing to deal with trouble in case it arrives. Wowzas. Sometimes it takes nerves of steel.

Crazy the amount of anxiety we can have over our animals. Almost worse than human kids because they do learn to some extent. Scott says he's starting to see ours trying to eat the acorns that are falling. I haven't seen it myself, but it freaks me out, and there's no way you can keep those cleaned up all the time every day. It's very tricky when the "childrens' playpen" is a whole backyard.

Crazy the amount of anxiety we can have over our animals. Almost worse than human kids because they do learn to some extent. Scott says he's starting to see ours trying to eat the acorns that are falling. I haven't seen it myself, but it freaks me out, and there's no way you can keep those cleaned up all the time every day. It's very tricky when the "childrens' playpen" is a whole backyard.

Are acorns bad for ducks? :/

We have been letting our flock free range a bit. We don't have any oak trees nearby, but it's always good to know, lol

Last edited:
Quote: I would think that as long as they don't gorge on them it's not a big deal. The neighbor's ducks did and seemed fine. My chickens don't seem to care anything about them though. I have a ton of trees in this yard that drop them, and I don't quite like it because the buggers are dangerous when walking over them. (think thick patches to clean up just everywhere in parts of the yard)

Back
Top Bottom