Emergency - duckling bit a bee/wasp

It's definitely on my list of things to get now! I've raised three batches of ducklings before and never had the need for one. I never really even thought of it. We have a bunch more eggs in the incubator now, so more ducklings on the way, hopefully. It would be very good to have on hand. And I'm gonna keep Benadryl stocked now too! Lol

There's a list here somewhere of things you want to keep on hand, but I'd have to look for that unless one of the others knows right off where it is. I don't think it's a sticky. I can tell you though...it's a very intimidating list if you're sort of just starting. You can pick and choose from it for the more commonly needed items, then add on. Much of the stuff is really good to have on hand, especially if you don't have a feed store nearby or have one like ours that doesn't carry a good selection of things. You should pick up some basic things that can be bought anywhere like the children's Benedryl. Poultry vitamin & electrolyte mix is another you should always have on hand. Also, don't forget to pick up some syringes that will measure down to .1 ml since oral meds don't do you any good if you have no way to dispense them. You can buy those at any drug store, and most vets will give you a few for free if you're a client.

So glad your baby is okay!
hugs.gif

Thank you everyone! Sorry for the overreaction, lol. She is sleeping soundly with her brother now. False alarm, I guess haha. You guys are all awesome
smile.png

You didn't overreact. Coming here right away shows you're a good mom, and she was acting abnormal.

You can take a look at the thing @Amiga posted and pick up what you need. Generics are fine for everything. Also, just as a tip, you probably look for the best price per ounce/pound for many things if you shop like I do. You don't want to do that here because more is a waste of money if you don't have children or other people in your household who will use it. For things like children's Benedryl, baby aspirin, infant vitamins, etc., you don't want to buy the largest bottles because chances are they will expire before you use the whole bottle. Buy the smallest bottle you can buy, and still check the expiration dates on those to see if you can find some that have expiration dates further in the future than the others.

Well I am glad to hear we can use children's Benadryl on our birds. I keep it on hand for my dogs in case of bee sting had to rush a 2 week old Dachshund to the vet real quick once when she ran across a yellow jackets nest in the yard.They stung her multiple times and she had a reaction.

Also great advice! Gosh you all are so smart lol. My fiancé said not to take them outside anymore, but they can't stay inside forever :/ they follow me everywhere outside. I walked them down the road yesterday, got some funny looks from my neighbors and passerbys lol!

Well I am glad to hear we can use children's Benadryl on our birds. I keep it on hand for my dogs in case of bee sting had to rush a 2 week old Dachshund to the vet real quick once when she ran across a yellow jackets nest in the yard.They stung her multiple times and she had a reaction.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless it's a mouth injury where they ate a biting or stinging insect. I'd always opt for the topical with an external bite/sting, but of course that's not an option if it's in the mouth because topical benedryl is never supposed to be used in the mouth or around the eyes. Do yours get a lot of bites and stings? I've always read that Muscovy are more prone to those since they can get them on their faces. Seems like it would be easy for that to happen to Muscovy when they were foraging around in the yard. Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom