!!EMERGENCY!! DYING BIRD!!

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
I have reason to believe one of my 3 year old hens is currently dying. Her comb is purple, she's gasping, she's resting her beak on the floor, etc. I'm considering possible injury? She was laying just before this, perfectly fine, and then she jumped down and stumbled out of the coop. She had bad balance and everything. She won't eat or drink, she's currently on my table swaddled in a blanket. She's sitting, but slumped more to the side. Please help.
20201012_085519.jpg

I have reason to believe one of my 3 year old hens is currently dying. Her comb is purple, she's gasping, she's resting her beak on the floor, etc. I'm considering possible injury? She was laying just before this, perfectly fine, and then she jumped down and stumbled out of the coop. She had bad balance and everything. She won't eat or drink, she's currently on my table swaddled in a blanket. She's sitting, but slumped more to the side. Please help.View attachment 2370316
Any breathing issues? What does her poop look like? Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

Has her comb looked purple in the past? I had a hen that lived to be about 3 but died from heart problems. Her comb looked purple off and on from when she was young.
This has never happened before. She's one of my healthiest hens, she's about 3 already. This happened very suddenly

Since she hasn't been exhibiting respiratory problems, I would guess a possible heart issue. I would keep her in a warm, quiet, confined space hoping that she can recover. I can not see any type of treatment.

Since she hasn't been exhibiting respiratory problems, I would guess a possible heart issue. I would keep her in a warm, quiet, confined space hoping that she can recover. I can not see any type of treatment.
I've had a few birds that are lethargic, they gasp and just all around don't look good but they have good color, they eat and drink and I'm trying to get tylosin for them. This girl in specific didn't have any issues at all, she was perfectly fine yesterday, her usual spirited self. None of them have done this. This happened very quick and have reason to believe it happened just this morning, is there really nothing I can do?

I have a stethoscope on hand, her heart is beating pretty fast

I'm pretty sure she's hurt. I picked her up to move her to a warm quiet spot and even though I was mindful of how I picked her up, she still let out a loud wheeze.

Back
Top Bottom