EMERGENCY DYING DUCK

When Rowena was rescued, she did not float. She sank like a rock, her feathers were in such poor condition. We gave her a shallow wading pool she could easily get out of.

She now has gorgeous feathers and floats just fine.

The cause was malnutrition, and lack of access to water for bathing. They do not need soap, just fresh water.

We feed New Country Organics layer feed, no corn, no soy. You can look up the ingredients to get an idea of what a good non pelleted feed has. We also feed Mazuri Waterfowl Breeder, a pelleted feed. I find the Mazuri still needs calcium boost for some of my Runners to avoid soft eggs. The Buffs and Rowena do well with the Mazuri.

Ok my feed does have corn in it so the next time we go to buy some I'll ask for a better kind! Thanks! When I first rescued him I thought the best thing for him was to be put down but now I know I may be able to help him I am just so glad this site exists.

1112648-a60798d43e3e8124b49371d2434692c4.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.45.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.45.41 pm.png
    452.2 KB · Views: 15
When I took a duck of mine to the vet, it cost me about 80$ for a visit and antibiotics. It was a duck of mine who had no luck and got her side bit open by a snapping turtle, and then while she was healing I tripped over her and hurt her leg.
Both things ended up healing on their own before the antibiotics even arrived.
Your duck's mobility problems are likely mostly due to weakness from malnutrition, I've had ducks for years and it seems there's always one that walks with a limp for usually unknown reasons -often I still can't even catch them to see what's wrong. I hope rest clears it up for yours, mine never rested much and often spent the rest of their lives with a little bit of a limp.

Hello!
I road my bike to the vet and showed them some photos of the sick duck. The vet was AMAZING, even though he was busy and I didn't have an appointment he still took a look then gave me some GREAT advice. He thinks the duck has the bumble foot and asked me to bring him in (he was basing this of the photos I showed him which I also posted). I was very worried about prices but he said he said he thinks that all in all it should be like $80. I AM SO HAPPY. I wouldn't have gone to the vet if no one recommended it as I was scared they'd just put him down so all of you have really been a very positive impact on all of my decisions. I am going to try and get an appointment for tomorrow! It seems like his life can only go up from here! I named the duck Sir John after a relative.

Hi new update on the duck. The vet said he may not survive and I shouldn't get my hopes up but he said we should do our best to try and save him. We are praying it is a bacterial infection and nothing worse he gave me antibiotics which are already clearing out the ducks eyes. He now has new energy, only problem is he uses this new energy to try and attack my fingers when I'm putting food and water in his enclosure. Anyone have any ideas on how I may be able to stop him doing that? I'm hoping I can heal him.
Thanks for all your help.

I guess it's a good sign. It doesn't necessary mean he's attacking your fingers, because he's aggressive. Sometimes they can do that because they think you have something there they can eat. They can nibble your skin to show affection too.
Keep him protected for some time, keep it warm and well fed. I have a feeling he should be OK soon.

Back
Top Bottom