Emergency!!! Egg on 25th day

3 out and the 4th has pipped a big hole in its shell. Number 3 has the top of its shell stuck to its back. I'm hoping it will drop off when he/she dries completely.

I had 7 Mallard eggs in my bator and 3 Rouen eggs. Rouens are not doing anything yet and not sure they will. I don't candle my eggs. I leave them all in my bators the full term + 5 days in case some are slowpokes. I leave it in Gods hands. If he intends for them to hatch they will and if they don't hatch, it's all in His plan.

6 Red Sexlink chicken eggs (from my hens) went into lockdown today. I moved them to the bator I have my duck eggs in for the lockdown process. I leave my eggs in an auto turner that is unplugged and the eggs are standing with the large end up. I have found that I have better hatches when I do this. They are incubated in a bator with an auto turner, that is plugged in of course, and I think that the chicks get oriented in that position during the incubation. I believe that if they are removed from the turner and laid on their sides it causes them to become dis-oriented and don't do well during the hatch. Just my opinion though, others may disagree.

Good luck to all hatching babies this month, and EVERY month.

hit.gif
hit.gif

All ducklings are dead!!
I moved them to brooder last night temp at 96F and this morning woke up to see all three ducklings are dead!!! What happened?!?
I my goodness i am so sorry. Explain your brooder set up, or post pics. I just want to tell you how sorry i am this has happened.
hugs.gif

3 out and the 4th has pipped a big hole in its shell. Number 3 has the top of its shell stuck to its back. I'm hoping it will drop off when he/she dries completely.

I had 7 Mallard eggs in my bator and 3 Rouen eggs. Rouens are not doing anything yet and not sure they will. I don't candle my eggs. I leave them all in my bators the full term + 5 days in case some are slowpokes. I leave it in Gods hands. If he intends for them to hatch they will and if they don't hatch, it's all in His plan.

6 Red Sexlink chicken eggs (from my hens) went into lockdown today. I moved them to the bator I have my duck eggs in for the lockdown process. I leave my eggs in an auto turner that is unplugged and the eggs are standing with the large end up. I have found that I have better hatches when I do this. They are incubated in a bator with an auto turner, that is plugged in of course, and I think that the chicks get oriented in that position during the incubation. I believe that if they are removed from the turner and laid on their sides it causes them to become dis-oriented and don't do well during the hatch. Just my opinion though, others may disagree.

Good luck to all hatching babies this month, and EVERY month.
Congrats on your hatch be sure to post pics when you can, Most likely once your duckling has dried the shell will fall off.

hit.gif
hit.gif

All ducklings are dead!!
I moved them to brooder last night temp at 96F and this morning woke up to see all three ducklings are dead!!! What happened?!?
I am soooo sorry Gyoza
hugs.gif
Miss Lydia is a great help so if you describe your brooder to her that would be helpful. Assume all ducklings were fluffed out from the incubator before moved to brooder? I have 16 or my 20 alive right now (4 died earlier - I eggtopsied them)- 14 seem to be normal and growing nicely in the brooder. I have 2 in the ICU still - they were assisted hatched as they were not even externally pipped late. I left them in most of their shell for a day changing wet paper towels and keeping them moist so they could absorb all their yolk sac which they did earlier today. Just a dried external umbilical cord now which should fall off this week. I am keeping my 2 surgery babies in the incubator - which I completely cleaned out but it keeps them warm and safe from pecking from the others. 1 is eating cooked egg and drinking vitamin water pretty good. The other will take the polyvi and drink it in and a little water but really just wants to sleep - I am not sure he will make it
fl.gif
but without help they both would have been shrink wrapped so hopefully all ends well.

I am soooo sorry Gyoza
hugs.gif
Miss Lydia is a great help so if you describe your brooder to her that would be helpful. Assume all ducklings were fluffed out from the incubator before moved to brooder? I have 16 or my 20 alive right now (4 died earlier - I eggtopsied them)- 14 seem to be normal and growing nicely in the brooder. I have 2 in the ICU still - they were assisted hatched as they were not even externally pipped late. I left them in most of their shell for a day changing wet paper towels and keeping them moist so they could absorb all their yolk sac which they did earlier today. Just a dried external umbilical cord now which should fall off this week. I am keeping my 2 surgery babies in the incubator - which I completely cleaned out but it keeps them warm and safe from pecking from the others. 1 is eating cooked egg and drinking vitamin water pretty good. The other will take the polyvi and drink it in and a little water but really just wants to sleep - I am not sure he will make it
fl.gif
but without help they both would have been shrink wrapped so hopefully all ends well.
Baylor Congrats on your great hatch.. I hope the 2 that needed help make it..
fl.gif
we better see some pics soon.
wink.png

The brooder is a recycling bin with 75watt IR lamp on top.

No the ducklings weren't fluff out yet. After over 24hrs in incubator they were still 'wet'.

The brooder is a recycling bin with 75watt IR lamp on top.

No the ducklings weren't fluff out yet. After over 24hrs in incubator they were still 'wet'.
Sounds like possibly your humidity was too high, I really don't know that much about bator hatching except what i read here maybe pose the question on the "Hatch Day thread" those ladies can help you figure it out, just so sorry I'm sure your heart broken.
hugs.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nown-as-hatch-day-is-today/31870#post_9010613

Last edited:
I had read like Miss Lydia that if the humidity is too high during the incubation period the ducks can hatch wet and have some difficulty in survival as well.

I came home today from work to discover both of my blue runners (helped hatched babies) were running around in the incubator! I was beyond excited as I somewhat expected to come home to a dead baby since the smallest one still couldnt hold his head up this am. I put some water in the eggs and made it soupy and dipped his beak in and he just lapped it up this am. I will post pics once they are done downloading to the computer. I still cant bring myself to name those two miracle babies as I figure I have at least a full week before I am out of the woods with them.

Last edited:

Here are my two Chocolate runners. The small one in front aka Hershey was almost hatched just couldnt push through. He has been good since day one.

My 3 blue swedish

My 3 Cayuga (food in one head
cool.png
)

My surgery baby blue runner! This is the little guy I thought would be dead when I came home tonight and he was up standing! He still has some spaghetti legs but pretty amazing so far.

The 2 blue runners. The bigger one seems totally normal now eating drinking and well pooping as you can see! The little guy is just starting to stand that is why he looks funny on his feet he actually does stand and walk tall like the runners.

THe 3 Rouens.

And last but not least the Buff's! The one in front with the bigger head is lovingly named Buff Boy by my 7 yr old!

Here are my two Chocolate runners. The small one in front aka Hershey was almost hatched just couldnt push through. He has been good since day one.

My 3 blue swedish

My 3 Cayuga (food in one head
cool.png
)

My surgery baby blue runner! This is the little guy I thought would be dead when I came home tonight and he was up standing! He still has some spaghetti legs but pretty amazing so far.

The 2 blue runners. The bigger one seems totally normal now eating drinking and well pooping as you can see! The little guy is just starting to stand that is why he looks funny on his feet he actually does stand and walk tall like the runners.

THe 3 Rouens.

And last but not least the Buff's! The one in front with the bigger head is lovingly named Buff Boy by my 7 yr old!
Oh my goodness Baylor what gorgeous babies.. They a just beautiful, i know you are in love, and congrats on getting the last 2 so far. they look great too. you sure had an awesome hatch... I love them all. They truly are miracles aren't they.

Back
Top Bottom