Emergency, Egg Shell Stuck in Vent (Graphic Pictures)

Have you pulled the membrane out yet, or has she passed it? Sometimes they will go back inside if you don’t get them out. The reason for using honey is to reduce the swelling if there is a prolapse or swelling. Hydrocortisone cream works that way too. If there is a prolapse, just keep the tissue moist with whatever cream or ointment you have. Calcium is a good idea as well.
Hello again Eggcessive and thank you for your advice again. I didn't check for the last few hours, but I went to get the Tylan for her like you advised me on my other post about her. The Terramycin didn't work and still has bubbles/foam in the eye. I was afraid to pull it because it seems well stuck and I was afraid I will give her even more issues. It's my fault, I notice something like a yolk color in her droppings about a day ago but I though I was wrong so I accidentally checked just to clean her feathers, because for some time now her poop is diarrhea watery type and found out.

Have you pulled the membrane out yet, or has she passed it? Sometimes they will go back inside if you don’t get them out. The reason for using honey is to reduce the swelling if there is a prolapse or swelling. Hydrocortisone cream works that way too. If there is a prolapse, just keep the tissue moist with whatever cream or ointment you have. Calcium is a good idea as well.
Plus I don't understand that shaking in her head what is it for. No sneezing no coughing....

Plus I don't understand that shaking in her head what is it for. No sneezing no coughing....
Your hen has Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. It's an infection of the respiratory system that Spreads to the eye. It can go on to inflame the reproductive system and GI tract.

Tylan may not work. Oxytetracycline is specific to respiratory problems, where as Tylan is a broad spectrum antibiotic. If your hen wasn't exhibiting symptoms of wide spread infection, I'd have more confidence in the Tylan. But you're listing off the entire shopping list of major symptoms.

First off, a warm soak in Epsom Salt. If that soft shell wouldn't just slide out AND she's prolapsed, I bet folding money there's more than 1 in there. Some calcium citrate and a warm soak will go a long way to resolve that.

If you don't have Oxytetracycline or can't get it, you can administer the single dose of Tylan in conjunction with 425mg of Baicalin (Chinese Skullcap concentrate) 3 times a day.

Put her in a dark place to prevent her from ovulation until you get this resolved.

Continue warm soaks daily until the prolapse resolves.

I lost 3 hens consecutively with similar symptoms. They all had multiple soft shells backed up. 1 had 17. Make absolutely sure you administer that calcium citrate.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...rains of M gallisepticum,act on the cell wall.

Your hen has Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. It's an infection of the respiratory system that Spreads to the eye. It can go on to inflame the reproductive system and GI tract.

Tylan may not work. Oxytetracycline is specific to respiratory problems, where as Tylan is a broad spectrum antibiotic. If your hen wasn't exhibiting symptoms of wide spread infection, I'd have more confidence in the Tylan. But you're listing off the entire shopping list of major symptoms.

First off, a warm soak in Epsom Salt. If that soft shell wouldn't just slide out AND she's prolapsed, I bet folding money there's more than 1 in there. Some calcium citrate and a warm soak will go a long way to resolve that.

If you don't have Oxytetracycline or can't get it, you can administer the single dose of Tylan in conjunction with 425mg of Baicalin (Chinese Skullcap concentrate) 3 times a day.

Put her in a dark place to prevent her from ovulation until you get this resolved.

Continue warm soaks daily until the prolapse resolves.

I lost 3 hens consecutively with similar symptoms. They all had multiple soft shells backed up. 1 had 17. Make absolutely sure you administer that calcium citrate.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry#:~:text=Treatment, Control, and Prevention of Mycoplasma gallisepticum Infection in Poultry&text=Most strains of M gallisepticum,act on the cell wall.
Thank you Mason Farm and Ranch for your answer, can you please tell me where can I get the Baicalin 425 mg? I find only 500mg tablets or smaller amounts. Also, which Oxytetracycline should I get? I'm lost, please help me. I just checked the egg shell came off, but blood is coming out from the vent, does that mean coccidiosis too??????

Thank you Mason Farm and Ranch for your answer, can you please tell me where can I get the Baicalin 425 mg? I find only 500mg tablets or smaller amounts. Also, which Oxytetracycline should I get? I'm lost, please help me. I just checked the egg shell came off, but blood is coming out from the vent, does that mean coccidiosis too??????
Use the 500mg if you have access to it. 425mg is a minimum dosage.

Soak her. Get her cleaned up. Coccidiosis is possible, but you need to triage the situation. It could be Blackhead disease, worms or a viral infection. If you have Amprolium/Corid, a prophylactic dose is a good idea.

The vent and the eggshells need to be addressed NOW.

Before you soak her, put your fingers on each side of her cloaca and GENTLY press in. Inch back to her abdomen slowly and feel for hardness. Does it feel obstructed, especially under her spine? If so, your going to need patience, brass cohones and a water based lubricant.... or take her to a vet.

Oxytetracycline is available at TSC or just about any feed store. Chickens require tiny doses, so get the smallest bottle.

Use the 500mg if you have access to it. 425mg is a minimum dosage.

Soak her. Get her cleaned up. Coccidiosis is possible, but you need to triage the situation. It could be Blackhead disease, worms or a viral infection. If you have Amprolium/Corid, a prophylactic dose is a good idea.

The vent and the eggshells need to be addressed NOW.

Before you soak her, put your fingers on each side of her cloaca and GENTLY press in. Inch back to her abdomen slowly and feel for hardness. Does it feel obstructed, especially under her spine? If so, your going to need patience, brass cohones and a water based lubricant.... or take her to a vet.

Oxytetracycline is available at TSC or just about any feed store. Chickens require tiny doses, so get the smallest bottle.
So should I stop Tylan and give her this? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-duramycin-100 If I feel an obstruction how do I help her to get rid of it? Should I get Baicalin if I use Oxytetracycline? Sorry for all the questions but I try to help her any way I can.

So should I stop Tylan and give her this? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-duramycin-100 If I feel an obstruction how do I help her to get rid of it? Should I get Baicalin if I use Oxytetracycline? Sorry for all the questions but I try to help her any way I can.
Your going to have to lube up your index finger and go get it.

It's soft shell membranes and they aren't coming out on their own. It's why she's prolapsed and bleeding. IF there's an obstruction.....

Oxytetracycline and Tylan don't mix. You can't give them within 48 hours of each other. It will cause a lethal heart failure.

Did you soak her? Post a photo of her dry cloaca after a soak.

Your going to have to lube up your index finger and go get it.

It's soft shell membranes and they aren't coming out on their own. It's why she's prolapsed and bleeding. IF there's an obstruction.....

Oxytetracycline and Tylan don't mix. You can't give them within 48 hours of each other. It will cause a lethal heart failure.

Did you soak her? Post a photo of her dry cloaca after a soak.
So I checked and she feels soft all around the vent and up to the abdomen where the spine is. Later I would give her the soak and I will post pictures to let me know if you see any issues. Should I start giving her Baicalin with the Tylan then? Today I start her with the calcium and D3 like you told me. I did a huge mistake though, I accidentally administered Tylan, and a good amount went to her trachea instead of her stomach and she vomit 3 times all water. Also I checked her ears and they look dry, what does it mean? I really appreciate all your help :thumbsup

Should I start giving her Baicalin with the Tylan then? Today I start her with the calcium and D3 like you told me. I did a huge mistake though, I accidentally administered Tylan, and a good amount went to her trachea instead of her stomach and she vomit 3 times all water.
Please post photos of her, her face/eye, her poop.
Thanks!

Did she expel the membrane or not?
You noticed blood on the vent - she's had a collapsed membrane and a difficult time expelling it from what I can understand. I would surmise that the blood is from the difficulties she's been having over the last day or so with the egg, not Coccidiosis.

Take time to read the article linked below, so you can safely give oral medications.

Tylan 50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row. It's an excellent antibiotic used to treat bacterial and bacterial-like respiratory infections like Mycoplasma. If you have started treatment, then I'd finish the course.

You will still need to flush the eye and apply your ointment as suggested in your other thread.

Any lesions or canker or mucous inside the beak?

Check her for lice and mites while you are taking care of her to make sure they are not a problem.

If her crop is not emptying overnight, then let us know.

And yes, continue with the Calcium with D3 for 5 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom