Emergency!!! Fluid coming from beak, gurgling, need treatment

I put the crop bra on Rosie but I was afraid to tie it too tight in case it restricts her breathing and I can’t watch her overnight. I don’t know what the perfect tightness is and I feel more comfortable doing it during the day when I can watch her. It’s not like she’s introducing more food into her crop anyway. We have tubing (for humans) and my mom, as a doctor, has the experience of putting it in, but flat-out refuses because she fears causing trauma to the esophagus and other digestive organs (I myself don’t know anything about tubing but she assumes it is going directly into the stomach (gizzard)). Is there any other way we can feed her?
Tube feeding isn't a good idea while the crop is struggling to empty. But once it looks empty come the morning crop check, then you can begin tube feeding her. Do you have the tubing?
I agree, tubing is not idea if the crop is not emptying, you risk aspiration.

She does need to be drinking. I would make sure the crop bra is on as Carol has described, the goal is to lift it so it can empty.

After you see the crop is emptying, then if need be, you can tube her.
The tubing would just go into the crop, not other digestive organs. The crop is like a pouch that holds the food, from there it goes to the proventriculous, then through the gizzard, then making way to the intestines.

Here's a good article description on the avian (poultry) digestive system with photos/drawings:
https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/avian-digestive-system/

Back
Top Bottom