Emergency! Hawk attack!

CrazyChicken360

Songster
Aug 16, 2020
Mass.
My chicken Matilda was just attacked by a hawk. She cannot open her right eye, and she is bleeding near her ear. I am not sure what to do and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. She is moving but not making any noises but she is breathing normally.

Last edited:
First treat for shock. Get her in a warm, quiet place. If she's non-responsive, give her some time. You will need to examine the wounds, flush them out with some chlorhexidine or dilute betadine, or warm soapy water, or sterile saline (not the eye, that should flushed with sterile saline only). If the eye is dried shut you can use warm, wet compresses to loosen any gunk to get it open. You can use some plain triple antibiotic ointment on any wounds. For the eye, if there is damage you can use terramycin eye ointment (available without rx at tractor supply and some feed stores). When she comes round enough to drink/swallow give her some electrolites or sugar water (room temp). Fluids are more important than food right now. Go over her completely to look for any wounds you might have missed in feathers. She could have punctures from claws. The shock is the most important thing to get her through at first.

First treat for shock. Get her in a warm, quiet place. If she's non-responsive, give her some time. You will need to examine the wounds, flush them out with some chlorhexidine or dilute betadine, or warm soapy water, or sterile saline (not the eye, that should flushed with sterile saline only). If the eye is dried shut you can use warm, wet compresses to loosen any gunk to get it open. You can use some plain triple antibiotic ointment on any wounds. For the eye, if there is damage you can use terramycin eye ointment (available without rx at tractor supply and some feed stores). When she comes round enough to drink/swallow give her some electrolites or sugar water (room temp). Fluids are more important than food right now. Go over her completely to look for any wounds you might have missed in feathers. She could have punctures from claws. The shock is the most important thing to get her through at first.
Thank you so much, I will try this. after I treat the wounds do I have to wrap the wounds up?

I would leave them open, just keep them covered with ointment to keep them moist. You can post pictures of any concerning wounds for specifics.

The swelling should gradually go down, how long depends on the trauma. Outcome depends on what the injury is. You just want to do your best to make sure that there is no infection. If the eye is damaged, then she may lose sight on that side. Chickens can do well with one eye, with some allowances for their disability, they can adapt, so it would be unfortunate, but not complete disaster. Hopefully they eye itself is ok, time will tell. If you don't have terramycin on hand, I would try to get that. It's a tiny tube, but very handy to have around. Most places the price is $20 -$24, tractor supply is showing $26.99.

My chicken Matilda was just attacked by a hawk. She cannot open her right eye, and she is bleeding near her ear. I am not sure what to do and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. She is moving but not making any noises but she is breathing normally.
Vet!

Back
Top Bottom