EMERGENCY HELP!!! How do I build Temporary coop for my chicks fast

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
Sorry for the long post
Our old chickens have been infected with lice and so have their coop but the have now been eaten so we were thinking that our little chicks could get the big chickens coop but now that we know the coop is infected they can’t move in there and because they lived in the same house, they have never been in contact bc there is a door between them but we still worry that the little coop might get infected . We have bought thing so we can fix it but it will take a whole month, so how do I build a coop for 8 10 week old chicks fast and cheap??
We been thinking about building it on our fenced field that is fox prove but other animals can still come in and eat them so how do we make it safe for the chicks?? And how do we make a place for them to sleep in and seek shelter?

Maybe you could get a big dog kennel (like the chain-link ones that are 10 feet square), one of the ones with a tarp roof to keep out rain. Then wrap it in hardware cloth to keep out predators (remember to wrap the top too.) Lay some hardware cloth outward along the ground on all sides to keep predators from digging underneath, too.

For the chickens to sleep, run a board across from one side to the other, and attach tarps to the dog kennel to block wind & rain where the roost is.

The hardware cloth & tarp can be attached with plastic zip ties.

(This is just one option. What option is best will depend on what you have available.)

Maybe you could get a big dog kennel (like the chain-link ones that are 10 feet square), one of the ones with a tarp roof to keep out rain. Then wrap it in hardware cloth to keep out predators (remember to wrap the top too.) Lay some hardware cloth outward along the ground on all sides to keep predators from digging underneath, too.

For the chickens to sleep, run a board across from one side to the other, and attach tarps to the dog kennel to block wind & rain where the roost is.

The hardware cloth & tarp can be attached with plastic zip ties.

(This is just one option. What option is best will depend on what you have available.)
Thank you so much I will look into where you can get the thing😊

Most inexpensive ideas? Dog kennel, tarp lean to, tent, under trampoline, tarp over picnic table... Not the most predator safe, but if you crammed them in a dog kennel from 9:30 to 6:00, that would keep them safe and they could free range the rest of the day.

if you crammed them in a dog kennel from 9:30 to 6:00, that would keep them safe and they could free range the rest of the day.
It depends on what size "dog kennel" is being discussed.
I suggested the kind that's 10 feet each direction-- a spacious coop for 8 chickens of any age.
The small kennels or crates that are only 2 or 3 feet on each side would definitely be cramped, even just at night.

So, as I read it:

You have 2 coops. One got infected with lice. Other coop *might* get infected due to proximity. The infected chickens have been removed (and eaten). But, lice may still be infecting their coop. So, in order for the old coop to be suitable for the younger chicks, you need to “fix” it.

The problem of lice can be solved fairly quickly. Get a gallon sprayer. Buy Permethrin concentrate. Read label to determine dilution. Make up appropriate solution into the sprayer. Have the coop (both of them) cleaned and swept thoroughly. Spray the entire interior, including nest boxes and roost bars. Keep chickens out during the spraying. At this point, you can choose:

1. Keep chickens out for 2-3 weeks, and spray again after about 7-10 days - this kills any newly hatched lice. You can wait another 7 days and spray again if you want.

- OR -

2. Add clean shavings to the coop, keep chickens out. Now put on some gloves and safety glasses. Have a helper. Catch chickens - either wait till dusk or use a fishing net, or corner them using a portable fence and cover so they can’t fly out. Take each chicken by legs, upside down. Spray permethrin solution on their vents, between their legs and under their wings. Put sprayed chicken into clean/sprayed coop. Repeat for all chickens. Now you know all are sprayed. Repeat in 7-10 days. They can live in the coop while it’s being treated.

Permethrin is a form of pyrethrin. Pyrethrin is the natural pesticide derived from marigolds. Permethrin is a lab produced form. This does not harm your chickens, and is widely used on livestock.

We’ve always employed option 2 when we have had lice.

Now you should know that wild birds bring in the lice. So, if you free range or wild birds can access the run or coop, then you will need to deal with lice again, at some point.

Back
Top Bottom