EMERGENCY: Help my Eve!

Oh no! Pore thing. The best thing that you can do is TAKE HER/HIM TO THE VET they'll know what to do. Let me know how it all turns out.

Last edited:
Ouch! I would wash it with some iodine, peroxide or something like that and apply some Neosporin (without the pain killers in it). No matter how bad it looks if she is eating and drinking she will heal from any wounds. You could always give her some electrolytes as well.

I think she is in shock right now, as she is not moving and is just laying where she is. We have brought her inside and put her in a crate with a heating pad. Should I try to give her water, or should I let her come down from the shock? I have electrolytes. Will Saline Solution help as well?

Eve is feeling much better this morning, but I don't think she will be out in a crate until Sunday. I want to see the wound start healing before!

I cleaned the wound with a saline solution (picked off the feathers that were plastered on), then I disinfected with Betadine, followed by another Saline rinse, a coat of BlueKote, topped off with a coat of "Trophy EMT Gel Colagen Wound Dressing".

She is eating. drinking, and pooping. She looks lonely, but a few more days in the infirmary (peace, quiet, no flies...) is in order.

*RANT* I went to Tractor Supply to find some Vetericyn HyrdoGel, and they were ALL expired in Jan 2015. I was not about to spend $30-$40 on an expired product, so I went with the EMT Gel. It has good reviews, have any of you used it?

So far, no neurological sideaffects to her injury are seen (Although she is not very graceful). Also, what started off as a little nick on the back of her neck has turned into a large rip. I realized it is because she has been craning her neck trying to clean her feathers. Silly girl.

There is an ointment that I always keep in my animal cubbord. It is called "Swat" . I believe it was originally made for horses, but can be used on all animals. It not only helps heal, it keeps flys off. It is wonderful stuff. It used to go by the name of Pink Ointment, but they changed the name to Swat years ago.
Anyway, it works real well for what you are dealing with. Clean the area. Dry. Then coat the whole wounded area with it. Your bird will have a pink head for a while. Re apply whenever needed.

Last edited:
Something similar happened to me last fall with my hen Philo. She had a head wound down to the skull. My suggestion (from painful experience) would be to not cover the wound in any bandage or cream. With Philo, I covered the wound in antibiotic cream given to me by the vet and the next day she had an enormous infection. The bacteria festered beneath the antibiotic ointment and infection grew between her flesh and her skull. For a month I had to lift the skin off her skull three times a day every day and clean it with a Q-tip until the wound healed. The entire time she had to be in isolation so the other birds wouldn't pick at her wound. She healed, though, and is now a doing very well with only a slight scar to show the trauma she went through.

With Eve, I couldn't tell from the picture if the wound reached the skull. The deeper it is, the higher your chances of infection if it's covered. Leave it open, and use an antibiotic spray. If her skin is ripping, I'd recommend going to a vet to suture it up, but otherwise you'll have to make do and hope it heals on its own.

I hope she gets better!

Something similar happened to me last fall with my hen Philo. She had a head wound down to the skull. My suggestion (from painful experience) would be to not cover the wound in any bandage or cream. With Philo, I covered the wound in antibiotic cream given to me by the vet and the next day she had an enormous infection. The bacteria festered beneath the antibiotic ointment and infection grew between her flesh and her skull. For a month I had to lift the skin off her skull three times a day every day and clean it with a Q-tip until the wound healed. The entire time she had to be in isolation so the other birds wouldn't pick at her wound. She healed, though, and is now a doing very well with only a slight scar to show the trauma she went through.

With Eve, I couldn't tell from the picture if the wound reached the skull. The deeper it is, the higher your chances of infection if it's covered. Leave it open, and use an antibiotic spray. If her skin is ripping, I'd recommend going to a vet to suture it up, but otherwise you'll have to make do and hope it heals on its own.

I hope she gets better!

Thank you! It does not appear to be down to the skull (Thank goodness!). I honestly don't think that a vet would be able to suture the skin, and I feel like the trip to the vet would be more stressful than beneficial in the end.

Just an update for everyone, Eve recovered fully and was reintegrated back into the flock. For a while she was very attached to me after the incident. She would run after me if I strayed too far, but she longed to be back with her friends. They still see her as the bottom of the pack, and picked on her for a bit, but all is mostly settled now.

We used EMT Collagen gel and daily cleanings. I did not stress about keeping the wound moist or anything; just clean and covered. The scabs came off by themselves, and the feathers grew back in time.

Today, Eve is doing well, and I am so happy I took the time to bring her back instead of giving up on her.

This was her just a few days after the attack:

10983291_862529907150776_5219504232147860411_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom