Emergency Help

The videos don't work. You may want to try to upload them to youtube and provide a link.

If her crop is not emptying, then you will want to address those symptoms. The article linked below is what I use.

Often there is more going on when a hen has a crop issue, possibly a reproductive problem, worms, infection, etc.
How old is she? Do you feel any bloat or fluid in her abdomen below the vent between her legs? Has she had a hard time laying eggs in the past? Any lice/mites?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
What is the temperature where you are? It's possible she is overheated with the info you have given us,
The temp has been hanging in the upper 80’s.

The temp has been hanging in the upper 80’s.
I don’t feel any fluid in her abdomen below her vent. She’s a very small bird. She usually lays a egg then won’t lay again for about two days. I checked for mites and lice and didn’t see anything.

Thank you everyone for your help. I awoke to my girl dead this morning. Graphic pic in comments.
16527089518833866260237164369766.jpg

I am so, so sorry for your loss... Poor girl...

Honestly, sour crop is almost always a symptom of a more serious illness, like cancer or a reproductive disorder. In my experience, it's usually so advanced by the time the crop is affected that there isn't much you can do. And our beloved chickens don't show signs of illness early enough for us to recognize them because they are prey animals. I've lost two similarly, and it's always devastating. I sent one to be necropsied to make sure it wasn't something communicable. That is always an option if you want to know what happened.

Again, I am so very sorry you lost her. You did your best to help her, but there probably wasn't anything you could do.
:hugs

I am so, so sorry for your loss... Poor girl...

Honestly, sour crop is almost always a symptom of a more serious illness, like cancer or a reproductive disorder. In my experience, it's usually so advanced by the time the crop is affected that there isn't much you can do. And our beloved chickens don't show signs of illness early enough for us to recognize them because they are prey animals. I've lost two similarly, and it's always devastating. I sent one to be necropsied to make sure it wasn't something communicable. That is always an option if you want to know what happened.

Again, I am so very sorry you lost her. You did your best to help her, but there probably wasn't anything you could do.
:hugs
Thank you. She will be missed. She was more of a pet.

Thank you. She will be missed. She was more of a pet.
Keep an eye on your other girls. I dose my girls water with maple syrup and acv if one is sick. This boosts their appetite. The raspy breathing could have been a cold. I almost lost three of my hens eight hens two months ago due to a cold. I used humidifier with rosemary and peppermint essential oils, plus nutri drench. The worst one is still lingering issues but I'm working through it.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, she was so beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom