Emergency........help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtnhomechick, May 29, 2010.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Hi Folks........I have a 8 mo. old Black Australorp who obviously isn't well. She's been standing off by herself all day while the others free range. I just noticed she pooped and it is yellow and runny.

Does this sound like an Egg Bound Girl? Any ideas what it might be. TIA..........Mary

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would bring her in and put her in a warm dark place feel her stomach area can you feel anything strange, keep her warm and give her some eggs/yogurt and watch her, I am new to this so not sure on if there is anything else you can check for has been laying regularly any other symptoms that she might be having.

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I really don't know if she's been laying.......I have quite a few and it's hard to know. Her tummy feels soft......checked that out. Her eyes are clear and she's walking slow but appears to not have an injury. Gosh.........I never did the glove thing.......wonder if I should.

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, bring her in where you can keep her warm and safe and observe her symptoms more closely.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    OK Guys.........I brought her in. She spent a couple hours on a towel on our BAR as we had Holiday Company!!! We gave her a bit of baking soda in some water ( very diluted ). Prior to that I put her in a tub of warm water and her vent was empty. Crop had lots of whole corn ( DH...feeding deer and my girls too ).......so I"m thinking CROP. Could be something from ranging too........who really knows.

I just put her out in our brooder.........outside.......with a bowl of water only.........hopefully she will be better in the morning. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it so much.

Mary

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    See if she will eat some yogurt if you have some on hand. Alternately, some boiled egg that is chopped up.

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I tried the yogurt before I brought her in.......no way. So then I tried some saltines......nope. Then I got the dropper and gave her some baking soda water.........then just plain water. She drank once I put her beak in the glass. Didn't want anything to do with food though. DH thinks she got something ranging that doesn't agree with her tummy. Tomorrow will tell.

She was closing her eyes a lot though and that kind of bothered me.

I know after today........my friends will never doubt how much I care for my girls. Sick as she is.........she was our focus.

Thanks Everyone.........haven't been on here in awhile........feels good to be back...........Mary

8. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Do your hens often get whole corn or is this something unusual? I think I'd suspect a crop issue, too. Maybe she just can't process that whole corn like she can the cracked corn in scratch.

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I could feel the corn in her crop so that's most likely the problem. But what can I do about that? Any idea's would be helpful. Thanks...........Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by