Emergency incubator/brooder ideas needed

richmelandgirls

Hatching
9 Years
May 22, 2010
I am new to this.... both chicken farming and backyard chickens:) I have posted one other time. I had a mama go broody, and she had several eggs added to her clutch on different dates (when she got off the nest to stretch-poo- and eat and drink) When I finally researched and found out I needed to separate her- there were already several eggs that I had no idea what day they had been added. I am happy to report that after moving her and not really knowing if any would hatch, that Tues and Wed a total of 4 healthy chicks have hatched and are thriving with Mama. Of the original 10 eggs this left 6. One piped and never hatched we could see its beak.Mama sat till Thurs am and then took her 4 (ADORABLE) chicks and started teaching them to eat and dust bath and all the cute things a chick does. A few times she got in the barrel we used for her nesting area, and tried to shove the eggs out. My daughter and I removed the piped but dead chick and buried it. Then we thought to candle the other 5, and they are all really close to hatching according to websites with candling pics. SO we brought them inside and put them in a milk crate with pine shavings (moist) and a heat lamp.(in our master bathtub :-0) Since we did this one has piped and we can hear peeping. The one that piped did so around 4 pm today and hasn't gotten any further. I'm guessing it needs more humidity? I have run the shower for several minutes and gotten the bathroom steamy a few times this evening and I put an umbrella over the milk crate to try and retain some of the moisture. Any other ideas of what I can do???? We have 3 little girls who begged me to "try and save the chicks" My 9 year wanted to sleep in the bathroom with them:) My daughter keeps clucking like she heard the Mama hen do when the eggs where peeping and she was sitting on them. She said it's still alive if we can hear it! ANY advice would be so appreciated... being that we have no idea what we are doing!

Sounds like you're giving these eggs the est chance you can! Temperature will be your biggest obstacle, try and make sure they are in a tall high sided box, insulate the walls with extra cardboard and keep the light on them. Damp shavings is a great idea to keep up humidity, just be sure to help any that are struggling, as they will easily shrink-wrap to the inside of the egg is they dry out at all. This most usually happens after pipping when air can get to the membrane inside. Look at you tube for helping chicks out, a fab video is of a byc-er helping out twins, a double yolked egg with two chicks in it. If you need to, get a fine misting spray bottle and spritz them every couple of hours with WARM water.

thanks for reply. I am headed to you tube to watch video now! Piped egg still moving and chirping but no change in shell :-( I think it's time to help it. Thanks for the info, and Yep I'll let you all know what happens!

You could also lay a paper towel dipped in warm water (and wrung out) over the eggs. This will help keep in moisture. They will hatch away fine underneath it, so just lay it on, dont wrap them.

I tried a search for that u-tube video and couldn't find it. I had chicks start to hatch early - 4 pm on tuesday, should have started this evening. Still have a few eggs with chicks in them not hatched, quarter size holes in the eggs and I can see them breathing. Humidity is about 75% in the bator and I have a humidifier in the room, a average size bathroom. Anything to do besides wait?

Hi Everyone! I have some GREAT updates.....
big_smile.png
2 of the 5 eggs have hatched !!!!!! YIPEEEEE! And thanks to my great neighbor/friend who came down and made sure the shavings stayed damp in my makeshift milkcrate/saran wrap bator- while we were gone today.... Sad that we had to be gone- but the cool thing is that my neighbor and daughters got to see the one hatch (which by the way was an egg with no piping and within 2 hours there was a chick :) the one that I was not sure if I would need to help it since it had piped yesterday and it was a really small egg, well it is chick # 2. I am thrilled and my husband and daughters are thrilled too. Still 3 eggs, we will see what happens :) they are so amazingly cute (the small egg chick is small but seems healthy)
I do have one other ? do I wait till night to put them under the mama hen? ANd will she take them? Any suggestions? I REALLY hope she thinks that wow, I thought I had 4 chicks but now I have 6!? I will try to post some pics tomorrow (not real sure how to do that as I am mostly computer illiterate:) will have hubby help me with that. Can't wait to show you all how sweet they are!

If she is a good mama, she should take the new ones without problem. You did good! I use a plastic tub, the big storage ones for the first brooder, then move up from there as they grow. It is a quick and handy way to get a quick brooder going. I think a lot of people do it that way. I use clear ones so they can see out, and I think that makes them feel less confined.
Good luck with the rest. It is too much fun, so be careful, hatching is addictive too.
big_smile.png

I did find the u tube videos . you just go to you tube and then I think I typed in BYC chick hatch video and several different ones came up. Hope that helps and good blessings with your eggs/chicks.

That is a neat idea to use the rubbermaid totes as a brooder. Who knew that rubbermaid had such varied uses
lol.png

Good to know that if she is a good mama that she should take them. She has been really good so far. Do you think I should wait till night time or try in the daytime to give them to her? They still have a little drying to do,so I didn't take them out there tonight. But by am should be good to go.
And thanks for the encouragement, yeah we didn't get a lot of sleep last night (making sure temp and humidity was ok... but got 2 adorable chicks ! Pretty neat trade off!
Oh and yeah, I can definitely see the hatching/brooding experience as being HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. So glad there are others out there as chicken crazy as us:)

Back
Top Bottom