emergency incubator?? Egg cheeping!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by obxWaMi, Apr 19, 2011.

1. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

A few days ago I posted about finding babies under my broody hen...Well, here they are!
    We moved them from the community coop into her own private pen late on the second night after 3 had hatched but still with one egg to go. She did fine and is a VERY protective momma! But she didn't finish the job.

Apparently the last egg was added to the clutch a few days after the originals and she got tired of waiting and gave up sitting. So I guess it's our own fault.

Just after she came off the nest with the 3 babies we checked on the remaining egg and found it burried in the pine shavings... cold.
    I decided to candle it but never made it that far. The egg started cheeping!

I've got the egg in my kitchen under a light right now and I'm hoping for the best since I don't have an incubator. I have it in a bowl with cloth under it. I dampened the edges of the cloth a bit because I know it's supposed to have humidity.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

[​IMG]

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I have no idea, keep it warm like momma would do and wait and see. I sure hope it makes it, it will need a special name if it does.please let us know if it hatches

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    We had one female member keep the egg warm by her chest. Don't want to say anything offensive. That should keep some humidity too. I think it's too late to buy an incubator and wait for it to heat up.

4. lotsachicks

lotsachicks Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    S. Texas
    When my broody left the nest for good with one egg pipped and two cheeping I brought them in and put them on my heating pad on low setting and kinda folded it over them, I also put a damp paper towel between them for humidity. It worked, I have 3 healthy peeps in the brooder.

5. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    I was gonna say shove it in your bra too! LOL. Great minds.[​IMG]

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I hatched 2 in my bra before I got into incubating...it works, but it's weird. I put on a camisole with a shelf in it, and that was a perfect pocket for keeping them warm under a sweater. If I were a man or had less...surface area in a bra...I would likely tuck in a shirt and let them sit around my waist. It's not for any busy activity, though, and putting several sealed mason jars of hot tap water in a cooler with the eggs in the middle on a damp towel is safer and more convenient. Close up the cooler and keep an eye on the temp. You want it around 100*.

7. barrelmom

barrelmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    My mother in law hatched eggs inside a laundry basket with the desk lamp for heat. She incubated many many eggs this way with great success.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by