EMERGENCY: is this prolapse or what????

lilmama

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
I have an Easter Egger hen, about 8 months old, who has been laying inconsistent soft-shelled eggs. Today she has a ton of what looks like "goo" coming out her rear and can only stand by her water trough and drink. She is very friendly usually and won't let me come near her. PLEASE ADVISE QUICKLY!!!

Cory

I think prolapse looks like a reddish tube coming out. Did you give your hen some oyster shell to help her form shells? Maybe she is passing an egg with no shell?

all my hens are on a laying feed with oyster shell. none of my other layers have this issue.
My hens vent does not look like that pic. It's gooey, which makes me think the egg broke inside her. She is clearly not feeling well. I am wondering if her vent is "glued" shut with the egg goo...what should I do.

Prolapse is when a hen's, how can I say this?, inner lining comes out, which is a real emergency. Other chickens will peck at it & she will die.
It can be treated with Preparation H, I have heard.
Sounds like your gal laid a shell-less egg. Some of the shell might be in there, however. Put on a glove, lube it up with vaseline or K-Y, & put your finger up there & feel around. Work any shell out of there until you don't feel any more. Then give her a quiet place to relax with lots of water & some foods rich in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A. She might have a nutrient deficiency, and vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins for a chickens overall health.
Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E, which helps boost the immune system.
If you have any of these veggies, boil them up until they are soft & chop them into bite-size pieces or mash them with a fork.
Also make sure she is eating her oyster shell, & try to supplement in calcium-rich foods. She also might not be getting enough vit. D.
What brand of feed do you use?

Back
Top Bottom