Emergency kit!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2DogsCoop, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I want to get an emergency kit gather up for just in cast! Any recommendations on different medications, etc. that I should have in there. I am new to raising chickens, our 5 RIR were mailed to us at 17 weeks old, fully vaccinated. Just want it on hand. Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only things I keep are BluKote and "poultry dust" (or spray, a permithrin/pyrethrin product) to control mites/lice. Worm meds expire rather quickly so I buy when it's time to worm. First aid is my own supplies such as Neosporin. Vet wrap would be handy for a broken limb but I've never had this happen. Some people like to keep organic ACV to put in the water periodically.

3. Ukmumbrood3

Ukmumbrood3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    I'm always worried something is going to happen so I actually did the same thing when I first got chickens and it's proved to be a god send as any problems seem to happen when the feedstore is closed!
    Off the top of my head I have in my box, corid, blukote, vet wrap, denagard,vet rx, vitamin/electrolytes and in the fridge penicillin.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have a vet drawer in my house - need to restock today after a failed shot at getting out a bumblefoot. [​IMG] I have for chickens:

Medicines: Tylan/Duramycin/Terramycin eye/ gentamycin eye/Pcn injectible (in fridge), Denagard, Corid, Sulmet
    Wormers: Eprinex,wazine
    Other: Electrolyte powder, vet wrap, scalpels, styptic powder, blue kote, neosporin (without pain meds), polyvisol, sevin dust (in barn), vaseline, qtips, syringes + needles, poultry nipples and my 11/32 drill bit to put the nipples in an emergency waterer when needed. Oh, and gloves of course.

Probably more, but can't think of it at the moment. I'm a nurse, so I like having a stocked cabinet ready!

Haven't used 99% of this stuff but good to know it's there.

5. Ukmumbrood3

Ukmumbrood3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    Ditto on the tylan,Terramycin,Sulmet and wazine.
    Featherz probably named everything you would ever need and I agree I like to also have it all on hand Even tho most of it's never been used!

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    There have been a number of posts about homemade First Aid Kits for chickens. Do a search for "First Aid Kits" and you should see a bunch.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would add a tube of hemrrhoid cream. I found a hen prolapsed and had to pack up the kids for a run to the store. Antibios for illness.Sevin or poultry dust for mites/lice. I have the blu kote too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by