EMERGENCY - Lethargic after Fluid Draining

I just checked on her. She wants to sleep (as do probably ALL chickens at 10:00 at night), but was alert when I woke her. I let her go back to sleep. I don’t think she’s going to die overnight and will tube her in the morning if she’s still not drinking.

This morning was incredibly frustrating. Ruby was perked up, but not feeling well. I brought her outside (thinking being with her friends would motivate her to drink and eat) and the whole flock was subdued from the 50°, breezy, dewy, overcast morning. Ruby did some sitting, as did the others, and also walked around gingerly (with her tail up,) pecking at the ground, but not consuming anything.

When I was about to leave for work, I made a last-minute decision to try tubing fluids. It takes a bit to get the pedialyte warmed up and get everything set up. I got that done and set up an outdoor treatment area under a patio heater. Got Ruby wrapped and positioned. Unfortunately, I had already had coffee. When I have a combo of caffeine and adrenaline, my handles tremble terribly. I attempted three times to tube, unsuccessfully. She fought me hard, which I’m sure was exhausting. I let her enjoy the heat for a minute, told her I loved her, stroked her gently and put her back in the run. Thankfully, Ruby found a sunny spot (the sun had FINALLY poked through) and laid down with her tail down. I plan to go check things out at lunch and tube fluids at that time, if she seems weak, and my hands won’t be trembling. So frustrating. I’m an idiot. Poor Ruby.

Back
Top Bottom