Emergency - Lethargic, antisocial, hen refusing to eat food.

The Grobfather

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

She is an Isa Brown and her name is Emily.

Approximately six months old. I believe she has been laying eggs. I am not sure if her weight, but it seems the same.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

She will not eat food. She still pecks at the ground, but seems largely uninterested. I think she’s not pecking for food.

She seems lethargic. She will still stand up and move around rarely. If she is placed oh a small roost bar, she will sit there. I have three hens in total and they have always been inseparable. But now, she won’t go near them.

Upon entering isolation, she has been drinking water and eating grit out of a bowl (sand, granite).

I believe her vent looks similar to the others. She is clean, I do not see any form of parasites. She is the only chicken that will let me touch her chest and neck without complaints.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

About three to four days now.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Only the one hen.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No signs of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I am honestly not sure.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Drinking small amounts, but she is not eating.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

I looked earlier and it looked blackish.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Isolation, dedicated water and grit.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Unfortunately, I will have to treat her myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I have a picture of her sitting on the miniature roost.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

A small coop. The hens have pine shavings as a bedding, and I clean it out once every three days. The coop itself is situated in a decent size run. The run is filled with pine flake. There is also a dedicated tub filled with mixture of diatomaceous earth, river sand, soil, And hardwood ash. Over the top of the run is a large tarp.

Attachments

• 3ABD6B6D-1019-4479-9486-5A8D70EDEA0B.png
    3ABD6B6D-1019-4479-9486-5A8D70EDEA0B.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
She will not eat food.
Upon entering isolation, she has been drinking water and eating grit out of a bowl (sand, granite).
Isolation, dedicated water and grit.
Update: I found the crop on her and it felt gritty and sandy. It did not feel hard whatsoever.
Are you providing any food for her?

Provide her with wet soupy feed, bits of egg or tuna. See if she will eat.
Sounds like she's eating a lot of sand and grit - don't provide any more at the time, remove the bowl of grit/sand.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. Let us know what it feels like then.

Photos of her poop, Please and Thank You!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks for the input, I greatly appreciate it.

I will remove the sources of grit.

I will give her a soupy feed mixture and will see how she handles it.

As for a picture, here is one attached.
51AB9F30-0163-46BB-A1D7-DBB4A7B287DA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom