emergency!! my duck is killing her hatchlings

Oh and if if they're still in the egg you can still put the eggs on you put lay the heating pads flat put the eggs on it and then slap it over and whatever you do do not break open the shell ever they're still ingesting the yolk and also the the veins that are running through the edge of the egg and the membranes if you cut them you can make the chick lead to death and this may sound mean but if it's not strong enough to get out of its own a you helping it out it probably won't survive and I have to tell you that because everyone told me that every single time but what I did was I would take a toothpick and I would put a flashlight on it like I was candling it and I would go in the circle making holes just big enough to break through the membrane but I would go all the way around the entire egg but you have to keep the kid the flashlight up there because you have to make sure you do not put a vein or poke the baby but don't pull it out because it's still ingesting it's yolk if you try to pull it out you would most likely kill it immediately
Not all babies that need assistance will be weak and unhealthy
I did as the OP did and let my new layer duck sit on eggs as well as incubated 6
Only one of her babies lived after seeing it bruised the wrong end and I had to take the egg to assist. Hope is now over a year old and never had any complications of being fully assisted
As for my 6 eggs only the two bigger of the 6 hatched themselves the other 4 needed full assistance as they were in small eggs and in wrong positions with no room to properly hatch
One I helped to soon , one I was scared to help after loosing the first and lost her too
Then I got help off here and successfully assisted the next 2 who are also over a year old and never had issues
They were out of the incubator in 4 hours running around
Often when incubating small eggs you will need to help as they can’t turn and are stuck but are perfectly healthy little ones

Not all babies that need assistance will be weak and unhealthy
I did as the OP did and let my new layer duck sit on eggs as well as incubated 6
Only one of her babies lived after seeing it bruised the wrong end and I had to take the egg to assist. Hope is now over a year old and never had any complications of being fully assisted
As for my 6 eggs only the two bigger of the 6 hatched themselves the other 4 needed full assistance as they were in small eggs and in wrong positions with no room to properly hatch
One I helped to soon , one I was scared to help after loosing the first and lost her too
Then I got help off here and successfully assisted the next 2 who are also over a year old and never had issues
They were out of the incubator in 4 hours running around
Often when incubating small eggs you will need to help as they can’t turn and are stuck but are perfectly healthy little ones
I didn't say they were doomed for death I said to be careful forgive me for speaking sounds to me like you've got it all set up what did you plan on an emergency notification for seems like you were asking for help I tried to give you some having 30 years experience and you just try to dog me I never said they were going to be weak and die I just am being very honest it's the weak ones usually can't get out of their egg and you're not supposed to help them out and I clearly said tough I still do and I have never lost one either sorry I responded to you and tried to help forgive me I'm such a horrible person obviously

I didn't say they were doomed for death I said to be careful forgive me for speaking sounds to me like you've got it all set up what did you plan on an emergency notification for seems like you were asking for help I tried to give you some having 30 years experience and you just try to dog me I never said they were going to be weak and die I just am being very honest it's the weak ones usually can't get out of their egg and you're not supposed to help them out and I clearly said tough I still do and I have never lost one either sorry I responded to you and tried to help forgive me I'm such a horrible person obviously
Hi, may I ask if you could please use punctuations in your replies? Especially if they are very long? It's very difficult to follow. Thanks, and :welcome !

Hi, may I ask if you could please use punctuations in your replies? Especially if they are very long? It's very difficult to follow. Thanks, and :welcome !
Don't worry I won't be wasting my time responding to any more messages people are not smart enough to take the advice of someone who has over 30 years experience then I guess they give what they get

Not trying to dog you at all
Just saying it’s not always the situation
If I hadn’t helped and left mine to die taking advice that we shouldn’t help then I wouldn’t have these 3 beautiful ducks who bring me a world of joy
There are times weak ones don’t thrive after birth but there are times us new hatchers get so excited that we incubate new layers eggs causing us all kind of problems at hatch
Small eggs equal assistance but perfectly healthy babies who need help out
I learned a lot from my experience and I don’t incubate any egg under 70 grams now but shoot for 75 or higher
I try to recommend this to others as most people I help on here with assisting is the same mistake I made ( small eggs )
Sorry you took it as a personal dog towards you
This was not my intent at all. Just hate to see a hatcher walk away thinking the baby will be weak and just let them die in an egg
I guess my love for ducks and ducklings gets me in trouble at times
Agsin I’m sorry

Don't worry I won't be wasting my time responding to any more messages people are not smart enough to take the advice of someone who has over 30 years experience then I guess they give what they get
Everyone has different experiences and opinions on this kind of thing. Maybe you didnt mean that they are doomed for death, but that is how it read to me as well, so I would have said the same as new duck mommy. A simple misunderstanding, let's move on respectfully?

Not trying to dog you at all
Just saying it’s not always the situation
If I hadn’t helped and left mine to die taking advice that we shouldn’t help then I wouldn’t have these 3 beautiful ducks who bring me a world of joy
There are times weak ones don’t thrive after birth but there are times us new hatchers get so excited that we incubate new layers eggs causing us all kind of problems at hatch
Small eggs equal assistance but perfectly healthy babies who need help out
I learned a lot from my experience and I don’t incubate any egg under 70 grams now but shoot for 75 or higher
I try to recommend this to others as most people I help on here with assisting is the same mistake I made ( small eggs )
Sorry you took it as a personal dog towards you
This was not my intent at all. Just hate to see a hatcher walk away thinking the baby will be weak and just let them die in an egg
I guess my love for ducks and ducklings gets me in trouble at times
Agsin I’m sorry
If you read my message I said that I say that and I know that that's what we're
supposed to do is just let them do it themselves but I myself break them out if they can't break themselves out because I won't let them die either and I've never lost one that I broke out myself I was just saying you have to be really careful I did not want that I say to leave it to die not once I said you're not supposed to do it but I do of course we do I mean what kind of people would we be if we just walked away from him and let those beautiful creatures die.I was just saying to be careful if you have to help it if it got the whole message then I even like told you how I do it I take a toothpick and just poke little holes and I hold it up to a flashlight so that I know that I'm not touching the veins but then I'm breaking through the membrane because then they can usually get themselves out once you make little holes all the way around the egg once you and I go all the way around the egg so that they can bust themselves out once they're ready once they've soaked up the rest of their yolk and they're ready but I never said to leave it to die I would never say that about any animal, people maybe but never an animal. that was a joke people LOL anyway I was just trying to help.

@duckyfei how is the duckling doing? making progress? Don't hesitate to ask for help. Many experienced here.
you guys are wonderful for offering so much info and advice❤️ it’s still alive thank god! and it’s pushing upwards like last night , little guy is also peeping very loudly! so i think that’s a good sign. this morning i believe my mother peeled some of the shell off and some of the membrane to enlarge the hole a bit so the duckling has more space? (she used to own a farm) but it looks perfectly fine. i think it’s wiggled around a little bit since i can’t really see the big veins inside anymore but i’ll check again in an hour or so.

the membrane itself looks a bit yellowish and sticky though… hope that’s normal 😣

Back
Top Bottom