emergency!! my duck is killing her hatchlings

does his feathers feel soft or hard ?
When that goo hardens it prevents them from moving around
Can you get closer up pics of the eyes
Im still wondering if he got goo in them
You said he was breathing out mucus ( that would be egg goo ) so he could also have it stuck in his eyes
Or he could really be blind
You didn’t incubate these birds so we don’t know if mom had proper humidity
Was she able to bath then go back to her eggs ?
It’s possible the eggs didn’t loose enough fluid before hatching
Not any fault of yours and nothing we can even figure out as the egg was under mom

He’s alive! he hasn’t been opening his eyes since they have cataracts in them, and he’s been struggling walking as well… the belly has a clot formed so it looks like it is healing. he’s just been lying down
A duckling that hatched with unabsorbed yolk in most cases can not walk until 5-6 hours at least after the yolk has fully absorbed. Sometimes longer because they tend to be a little weaker at first than a duckling that hatched completely on its own with no yolk.

That baby had a rough hatch so it will take time for it to get it's feet under it.
Are you sure what your seeing in the eyes isn't some of the guck from inside the shell. It was mentioned to use a q tip and some Terramycin to see if that helps with the eyes.
Be sure to keep him on clean bedding [pee pads or clean towels] until the belly is completely healed up.

I am so sorry that you lost your little one. I had a Mule Duckling that I had to assist in a hatch totally full of goo. I did exactly what you are probably not supposed to do but washed him in warm water and then set him under the heat lamp to dry on a dry towel. She is not quite 6 months old but big as ever and full of spunk. I think I had the humidity too high is what might of caused her problems. I was very fortunate that she came out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom