EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Ivyfox777

Chirping
Oct 18, 2018
one of my poor chickens fell in the snow head first and based on her movements I’m 90% sure she broke her neck. She looks like she’s sleeping and is unresponsive, but she’s warm still and I believe still has a pulse. I brought her inside and wrapped her up making sure her head doesn’t flop about and she’ll warm up but I want to know if there’s anything I can do for her or if I’ve lost her.

Oh my...she fell off of what?
Will she drink water if you put some on a spoon or small dish and hold it to her beak?

one of my poor chickens fell in the snow head first and based on her movements I’m 90% sure she broke her neck. She looks like she’s sleeping and is unresponsive, but she’s warm still and I believe still has a pulse. I brought her inside and wrapped her up making sure her head doesn’t flop about and she’ll warm up but I want to know if there’s anything I can do for her or if I’ve lost her.
Can you post some photos?
Can you tell if she's breathing?

Put a towel in the dryer to warm it, then loosely swaddle her to get her warmed up.
I would not push any type of fluids at this time until she is responsive.

I would just like to add that it is extremely unlikely that she has broken her neck, so don't panic too much on that score. She would have had to have a huge impact to do that sort of damage and snow is usually pretty soft. I don't mean to be crude but if you have ever butchered chickens, you will know just how strong their necks are which is why I am pretty confident. Can you feel a break or is it just limp?

I'm very sorry to hear that. if you are interested to find out what was wrong your state Agricultural/Veterinary Diagnostics Lab would be able to perform a necropsy. These facilities are often subsidised and the cost is therefore relatively inexpensive or even free depending on the state you live in. If you are considering this, refrigerate her body until you are able to make enquiries. Some of us also perform our own informal necropsies but I appreciate that is not something everyone can get their head around.
How old was she? My guess would be that she had an outbreak of Marek's disease particularly if she was 4-7months old. It can leave birds in odd twisted positions and the neck is one of the areas of the body which is often affected. The disease is very common inckens and apart from paralysis it often also involves internal tumours. A necropsy would give you information about her death that might help you manage and support your remaining chickens, so it can be beneficial going forward.
The above is just for information (there is no requirement to do so) butmerely to make you are aware of all the options available.

Best wishes

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom