Emergency please HELP!

Not sure what the weather is like in Illinois but I would not spray a bird in winter in my climate, especially at night when they are not active.
In a colder climate I find that lice which is what these sound like, are more likely to thrive than mites which live in the cracks and crevices of the coop. Lice are more of an irritant than a serious health threat because unlike mites which suck blood, lice live mostly off skin debris.

Also I believe if you have seen the mites that you may have a combination of parasites plus natural seasonal molting, so the feather loss, while alarming, is probably not much to be worried about. The chickens can generally survive the cold despite lost of feathers due to molt provided they have a nice draft free coop they can hang out in.

When my birds had the mites earlier this year the feather loss wasn't due to molting and every day the feather loss got worse and worse. I thought they might be starting to molt until I did a close inspection and saw the mites on them. I immediately started spraying them and the coop with the permethrin spray. Luckily the mites were only in one coop but I sprayed the inside of all of the coops to be safe. I have no idea where the mites came from because I don't bring any birds from the outside onto my property. I hatch all of my birds. In the end I got rid of the mites and now the birds are looking and acting much better.

Hey guys I need your help! One of my favorite girls, she is lethargic and she isn’t pooping or laying and she, I know thing sounds weird but I think she pooped egg yolk? She is also throwing up! I’m so scared and I could really use some help!

Back
Top Bottom