Emergency!!!! Please Help!!!

To me this looks superficial... but if it’s fully detached I might be inclined to remove itView attachment 2380228

Maybe... but be looks great to me, honestly
I think most of the blood came from this View attachment 2380229
Thank you! This has been super helpful, we’re quite new to the chicken world, weve had them for about 6 months, and this is the worst attack we’ve had yet. And only the second. When we cleaned off the blood, most of it was dripping down from this area, where the comb is. But quite a bit was also coming down from the top.

Attachments

• 671A569B-D918-49D3-BEC3-1CAF086BEB6F.jpeg
    671A569B-D918-49D3-BEC3-1CAF086BEB6F.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4
Thank you! This has been super helpful, we’re quite new to the chicken world, weve had them for about 6 months, and this is the worst attack we’ve had yet. And only the second. When we cleaned off the blood, most of it was dripping down from this area, where the comb is. But quite a bit was also coming down from the top.

Sorry, super spotty cell service here. That’s a clean wound, and it will heal up just fine, I’m sure. I would just let him be. Keep him away from the other Rooster for a while for sure.

You will have to keep a very close eye on the two boys though. Are they about the same age? Have you got a lot of hens? What does your coop/run/ranging situation look like. Managing multiple Roosters together can be very challenging and things like this will crop up from time to time even with the best precautions (short of multiple separate runs). One key thing I look for is if one Rooster is being relentlessly bullied/pursued, or if after a brief showdown there is any severe chasing or prolonged confrontations.

My boys that free range together, (4) will occasionally flare hackles at each other, have a quick confrontation then they either have it sorted themselves or occasionally I will separate one and walk him back to his own ladies (they all have their own little flocks, and usually it goes just fine) but I know their personalities and they are all fairly laid back. One of the Roosters raised the two younger ones.

They all roosted together until one day my Rooster took exception to my Meat boy Rooster in a separate flock/roosting box, and had some very light comb damage. Then the two younger ones decide to turn on him together. It was a very rough day. I penned all the 3 boys separately, all day then kept the youngers separate from my older boy for almost a month. I increased my free ranging hens with them from 6 to 11, gave my older guy one mature hen, 3 POL, and 19 4-week old pullets to raise. They are all peacefully free ranging again together, for now.

So, although I think you’re good on the immediate injury/emergency care situation, there is still a fair bit to consider in where to go from here and what to do husbandry wise with your flock. Multiple Roosters can work, but it can also explode into far worse injuries that this. It all depends on the personalities and environment. That said, I also have 4 other boys that are all penned separately from each other with their hens... they just will not co-exist peacefully with one another. And I have a lot of space to free range.

Sorry, super spotty cell service here. That’s a clean wound, and it will heal up just fine, I’m sure. I would just let him be. Keep him away from the other Rooster for a while for sure.

You will have to keep a very close eye on the two boys though. Are they about the same age? Have you got a lot of hens? What does your coop/run/ranging situation look like. Managing multiple Roosters together can be very challenging and things like this will crop up from time to time even with the best precautions (short of multiple separate runs). One key thing I look for is if one Rooster is being relentlessly bullied/pursued, or if after a brief showdown there is any severe chasing or prolonged confrontations.

My boys that free range together, (4) will occasionally flare hackles at each other, have a quick confrontation then they either have it sorted themselves or occasionally I will separate one and walk him back to his own ladies (they all have their own little flocks, and usually it goes just fine) but I know their personalities and they are all fairly laid back. One of the Roosters raised the two younger ones.

They all roosted together until one day my Rooster took exception to my Meat boy Rooster in a separate flock/roosting box, and had some very light comb damage. Then the two younger ones decide to turn on him together. It was a very rough day. I penned all the 3 boys separately, all day then kept the youngers separate from my older boy for almost a month. I increased my free ranging hens with them from 6 to 11, gave my older guy one mature hen, 3 POL, and 19 4-week old pullets to raise. They are all peacefully free ranging again together, for now.

So, although I think you’re good on the immediate injury/emergency care situation, there is still a fair bit to consider in where to go from here and what to do husbandry wise with your flock. Multiple Roosters can work, but it can also explode into far worse injuries that this. It all depends on the personalities and environment. That said, I also have 4 other boys that are all penned separately from each other with their hens... they just will not co-exist peacefully with one another. And I have a lot of space to free range.
The two roosters are the same age. They were raised together. The only problem is the difference in size. Charlie is a bantam, and Jasper (the one who attacked Charlie) is and Easter Egger mix of some sort. We is usually bring them inside at night, due to their crowing, the neighbors aren’t to fond of that in the mornings.
We have two coops, inside of two larger fenced in areas. We’ve been locking Jasper in the coop pen so he won’t attack the hens or Charlie. We can’t let him run in the fenced in area and the hens isn’t the other, because he jumps the fence and goes over there anyway. My parents want to

The two roosters are the same age. They were raised together. The only problem is the difference in size. Charlie is a bantam, and Jasper (the one who attacked Charlie) is and Easter Egger mix of some sort. We is usually bring them inside at night, due to their crowing, the neighbors aren’t to fond of that in the mornings.
We have two coops, inside of two larger fenced in areas. We’ve been locking Jasper in the coop pen so he won’t attack the hens or Charlie. We can’t let him run in the fenced in area and the hens isn’t the other, because he jumps the fence and goes over there anyway. My parents want to

You may need to re-home someone or beef up your fencing/pens. My Easter Egger Rooster is also my most aggressive. Myself and my husband are the only people I let into his pen. But it sounds like these boys are fairly young. They may settle down or they may not. There are many good articles and threads about Roosters here, explore them a little, or start a new one. Your short term emergency is solved, but the behavioral and keeping arrangement should be addressed so no one gets hurt further, that’s the root of your issue. There are a lot of different and strong opinions on the subject of roosters, and you will need to figure out where you fall in that. Think of it as an adventure. Best wishes!

You may need to re-home someone or beef up your fencing/pens. My Easter Egger Rooster is also my most aggressive. Myself and my husband are the only people I let into his pen. But it sounds like these boys are fairly young. They may settle down or they may not. There are many good articles and threads about Roosters here, explore them a little, or start a new one. Your short term emergency is solved, but the behavioral and keeping arrangement should be addressed so no one gets hurt further, that’s the root of your issue. There are a lot of different and strong opinions on the subject of roosters, and you will need to figure out where you fall in that. Think of it as an adventure. Best wishes!
Thank you! We are currently trying to find a new home for the Easter Egger Roo, and I think we might have found someone to take him!!

Back
Top Bottom