Emergency! Please help!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Jacklynn, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one pair of pigeons, Indian Fantails. They have two 9 day old babies. The babies are doing great.

The mom just died. [​IMG] I don't know if she had a heart attack or what.

Will the male be able to care for them on his own? If not, what do I do? [​IMG]

2. Jacklynn

She was acting fine, eating drinking, etc. My dad was using loud power equipment outside, so I' thinking heart attack. Daddy and babies are doing great [​IMG]

I just don't know if the babies will be okay.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The father, if he is experienced, should continue feeding the squabs. Check tonight to see if he is brooding them. C*cks normally do not brood the squabs at night; however, when I have lost hens from experienced pairs the male will even brood the squabs in the evening. Good luck, because there are a lot of ways this could go.

4. Jacklynn

Alright! I'll look soon! It's 7:30ish here at the moment, gah, I hope this turns out okay :c

5. Jacklynn

If he isn't on the squabs by 10 pm, I'll bring them in.

I read that to handfeed baby pigeons you can take a cup of chick starter and a cup of water and blend it into a goopy, pudding like substance in the blender and feed it to the babies.

What would I need to buy to feed them? If worse comes to worse?

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    You read right. You can use that or you can go get some Kaytee Exact formula from the pet store.

7. Jacklynn

It's only suppose to be a low of 13 tonight, so not too cold, my shed is kind of warm, so I'll check them tomorrow morning. c: Thanks Becky!

8. Jacklynn

The babies were fine today! They were chirping and flapping their wings, haha, so cute!

Will daddy need help feeding both babies since he has to do it on his own?

9. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thats good

"I read that to handfeed baby pigeons you can take a cup of chick starter and a cup of water and blend it into a goopy, pudding like substance in the blender and feed it to the babies."

It works you might need to add some form of protein though

10. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    Also Feed The Cock Next To The Babies And They Will Learn To Eat And Drink Faster Some People Put Young On The Floor Of The Loft At Three Weeks And The Young Learn To Eat And Drink That Way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by