Emergency Please Help!!!

Just got home. Everyone outside looks ok. Coop temp is 40 deg f. Inside not so good. 1of the 4 is dead. other 3 arent moving very much if at all. Someone asked about poop. One of the 4 inside just pooped and it was white. Not very solid,but not liquidy either... consistancy of apple sauce maybe.

Do they huddle together? Do they stand with their feathers "puffed out" and their eyes closed? Have you noticed any bloody poo? Are you using medicated or non -medicated feed?

Using medicated feed. And yes to everything but the bloody poo. As I said earlier, white poo with the consistancy of apple sauce

I can hear frustration and I understand it too.

When did they go outside? What temps were they use to before it got colder? They usually are not fully feathered yet at 9 weeks so this might be the issue? Can you bring them in where it's warmer and see if that's what it is? If not can you heat the coop up a bit more?

I sure hope we can help you in time with them.
hugs.gif

Sounds like cocci, as the others suggested. I would get them started on Sulmet or Corid ASAP. It can cause large losses in a short time. Have you had wet weather? Alot of times the moisture will cause the spores to multiply in large numbers and cause an outbreak. Could be something else, but I would definitely start with Sulmet jic.

Yes we have had some wet weather in the last week. It snowed here on monday... Alot. I think we got 10 or 11 inches. styed on the ground until yesterday. It is very muddy, moist, muggy here which is very unusual for this area.

Sorry if I cam off frustrated or aggitated in my posts. This is just very upsetting for me. Thanks for all the help guys. Where can I get Sulmet or Corid at?

Also, is it ok for them to be in the house if it is cocci? I have a dog and a 17month old boy and a preggo wife

Last edited:
No reason to apologize at all, I fully understand how frustrating this is to you.

You said there isn't any blood and with cocci there usually is blood so I'm not that sure it's cocci. You said the poo is white and it looks like applesauce too so again it's not sounding like cocci to me. Do you see blood around the vent area on any of them?

I would go ahead and treat them as if they do have cocci though. Cocci is host specific and cannot be transmitted to any other animal or human so you are okay bringing them into the house.

I'm still thinking it's too cold for them right now because they are not fully feathered and were not prepared for the conditions they are in. Either way I would bring them in right away and treat them as soon as possible. If it is cocci for sure then they may also get a respiratory infection which is very common with cocci so you should put Tylan in their water too.

Read about cocci from here, this is really helpful:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961

I agree with all the folks who recommended immediate treatment for coccidiosis. They are at the usual age for it.

It is a fast killer of chicks.

Sulmet will be in the poultry section of the feed store. Corid will be in the cattle section.

I would also recommend good handwashing with your chicks as we all should strive to do. My children always have to wash their hands after handling chicks/chickens, and I do also.

I have a DH who is an immunocompromised cancer survivor. He doesn't handle chickens at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom